Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I re-did my engine compartment about ten months ago when I had the engine out. Over time it and the engine have collected dust and dirt. I go to shows and my fellow Mustangers always seem to have spotless engines and engine compartments. What do you guys do to keep the engine clean and sharp looking? Wash it with soap and water? Blow it off with compressed air? What?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I use Simple Green diluted in water and a rag to get off the dirt and grime. I do at each show and sometimes after each time I drive it. I also use Maquires Quick Detail on the entire car and in the engine compartment whenever it needs it as well.

G

·
0 Posts
I pressure wash mine since it is impossible to get to all the nooks and crannies and then wash the areas that I can get to with soap and water, hose it down and blow the whole thing off with compressed to eliminate water spots. I have found if I soak the distributor its off with the cap to dry it out or it will never start.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
I use diluted Simple Green or Windex to clean any oil or other gunk off the engine, which with my coupe is usually underneath. I have actually vacuumed my engine to remove the top layer of dust and dirt, especially after our Regional MCA Show this spring when we got hit by one NASTY windstorm. To remove light dust, I'll use those Swiffers dusting cloths or sometimes just a dampened rag. The Armorall glass cleaner wipes work good, too. If the hoses are dirty, get some hand cleaner that has lanolin in it (most do) and put some in your hands and rub them down the hoses. Wipe the excess off immediately (it's even better if you have helper following right behind you, no drips that way). It not only cleans the hoses, they look real nice when you're done. Don't use it on the belts! Meguiar's Quick Mist detail spray also is another good product to use for final cleaning.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
WD-40 is great at concealing rusty bolts that you've overlooked until you're parked in place at a show. Just clean the bolt as best you can, spray WD-40 on it, wipe it off, and the rust can't be seen until after judging is over. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

No, I haven't done this (yet) but I have friends who have done it successfully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts