Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All

I've done the T5 swap and am going to sell my toploader. Its a bit dirty and I want to make it more presenatable. I was planning on putting it out in my driveway, hitting it with some sort of cleaner (break cleaner maybe) and power washing it. Do I need to do anything special to prepare the tranny or pay special attention to anything so as not to damage the tranny during the process?

Thanks.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can water get in via the yoke end or the spline end?

Please pardon me if I didnt' get the lingo correct.

Thanks.

·
Registered
767 Posts
If it was mine and going back in, I'd soda blast it.

If it was mine and up for sale, I'd wipe it down (using solvent is fine) as best I could to make the handling easier, but I wouldn't pressure wash it.

If I was in the market for one, I'd rather buy one that was just wiped down (or even left alone) than one that was pressure washed. In addition to the chance of pushing water inside, you increase the likelihood of rusting the covers, etc.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I used an electric drill and wire-wheel to clean mine, taping over the input shaft and rear seal to ensure no debris found its way inside. Then, just give it a coat of paint and it'll look new.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
amorrow02 said:
I used an electric drill and wire-wheel to clean mine, taping over the input shaft and rear seal to ensure no debris found its way inside. Then, just give it a coat of paint and it'll look new.
This what I did but I know most do not like the paint method. It looks awesome though .

I would like to buy one that was just wiped down. I would buy one that was pressure washed with pictures showing the tape and care that was used.

The wire wheel made it look great before the paint I should mention.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts