Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vendor
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and Billgear pulled my heads yesterday and stripped them down. I'm not planning on replacing the valves and I'm not getting a valve job done as everything looks ok. I found some oil in the intake and some crud on the exhaust valves, on the face, and on the backside.

What's the beast way to clean this off? Any nasty chemicals or a buffing wheel type deal?

G

·
0 Posts
We chucked the valve stem in a drill press and used a chisel held againt the spinning valve to remove the crud.Then finished them off will a wire wheel.
Be careful not to damage the sealing surface when you do this.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I used some sprat carb. cleaner on mine, then polished them with a need little wheel that I found. It is a scrubby pad that fits on your 4" grinder. There is a plastic backing plate that fits on the grinder, then the scrubby pads have velcro on the back. They just stick to the plate. They work on all kinds of stuff.....

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I generally use the wire wheel side of a bench grinder. They will clean up nicely this way. Be sure to hold on tight to them as the wheel will tend to grab them and try to throw them at you...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts