Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm done with the epoxy primer on the underside of my car, It can out so well that I really want to keep this look, just want to cover it up with some clear coat....I'm thinking I should use urethane clear coat over the primer after some light sanding...is this right?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,662 Posts
I painted the hood on my old truck with PPG DP40 epoxy primer and never did get around to doing any more to it. Sun, weather, bird poop, whatever, never bothered it. It washed up and looked about the same for about three years until I got rid of the truck.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I used the SPI, it has UV protection. I just sprayed the underside of the car and left it, I have been driving it this summer and it still looks great.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
question is how much sun the underside of your car is going to see ?
clear coating the epoxy is just a waste of time and money . it will also give a gloss to the red which will be incorrect .
Well I agree about the UV protection, that is pointless, but I guess my reasoning was that the clear would give me a bit more protection from stuff flying up and hitting the underside when I'm actually driving the car....as for whether it's incorrect...meh, none of my car is stock so that doesn't concern me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts