Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clear coat on the spoiler of my wife's car is chipping and peeling off and I want to get it fixed. The car is about 6 years old and has the factory base/clear paint that on the remainder of the car is in great shape. I'm thinking the spoiler was painted seperately or something during assembly...

Anyway I went by one of the cheapo car paint places today just to see what they would say, and he said that you have to repaint the whole thing. The new clear will "lift" if you don't. Is that true? I was under the impression that you could wet sand it down past where it is coming off (or maybe the whole spoiler) and then reshoot it. The spoiler is removable, so I would think that would be a plus.

Paint guys? Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
If you want to assume that no additional clear is going to peel, then you can sand off the bad clear and recoat it. I'm not sure I'd make that assumption myself, so I'd sand off the clear on the entire spoiler and re-clear. If you don't damage the color, then there's no reason to re-color.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If the rest of the car is good, I would remove the spoiler and sand the entire surface and have it repainted base coat/clear coat. I think the chances of sanding the clear coat without effecting the base coat, is minimal.

Scott

·
Registered
9,631 Posts
If some of the clear failed, you can guarantee that the rest will shortly after you finish the first repair job. Strip the spoiler down to the base color, re-shoot base color and then clear as usual - if you want it to last.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts