Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During another thread i got sidlined trying to find some info on my 351c heads that i would like to share.

My heads have the 4 and the DOT in the upper corners of the heads and i did some resarch and some authors say they have never seen the 4 with a dot that were Closed chamber heads and others say they have seen CC heads with or without the dot and it is dependand on the manufacture date and the number under the intake runner.

I have not removed the center head from my cleveland in my car to look at the number under the intake runner of the head but the date stamp is 0L19 which was produce November 19,190.I will check the number under the runner the very first time i have the center head off.

Today I checked the heads i have at work and they are also stamped 4 and the Dot.They are date stamped 1A6 indicated a Janury of 1971 production date.Under the runner it is marked D1AE and thes are CC heads.They clearly have the dot and are clearly CC head and this lines up with the pantera on line site that has some codes de-coded.

So in my opinion the presence of the dot does not always mean that your heads are open chamber and lines up with one of the articles i read.
As others have said you need to look under the intake runner to be sure and cross that number with some online resourses.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
As far as I know ALL Cleveland 4V heads were CC for the 1970 and 1971 MODEL years. Therefore any 4V head with a date code prior to 1H1 (August 1, 1971) will be a CC head. When the 1972 models went into production in August, 1971 I assume production of the OC heads began. Therefore I don't think it's necessary to check the casting number on the bottom of the head- just check the date code under the valve cover.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know ALL Cleveland 4V heads were CC for the 1970 and 1971 MODEL years. Therefore any 4V head with a date code prior to 1H1 (August 1, 1971) will be a CC head. When the 1972 models went into production in August, 1971 I assume production of the OC heads began. Therefore I don't think it's necessary to check the casting number on the bottom of the head- just check the date code under the valve cover.
I spent a hor or so sunday reading all i could and found several contradictory statements/ opinions on this subject .I hope your right then my date coded 0L19 would have to be CC heads which is what i would like .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts