Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started when I tried to plan making my valvetrain ALL crane....

I have a 2V headed cleveland I'm about to assemble.....going for big brands, in spite of the fact other companies actually manufacture some of their stuff.

I had the 2V heads reworked 3 angle a couple of years ago with valves I bought from PAW...their catalog listed the manufacturer as manley.....turns out there are two companies named manley.....manley the high perf part manufacturer, and manley/dynagear (I've heard of dynagear....they make generic parts that are sold by parts stores..I believe pep boys sells some of their stuff)...plus the valves are 4 groove, and crane doesn't make 4 groove locks......and if I went with manley (the right manley) valves, I'd end up having to find an intake valve with the right specs (there's a lot more involved than just stem diameter, length, and head diameter).

A search of other race valvetrain makers was coming up zip for the 2V cleveland valves.....still would need intakes from a sbc, probably 1/4" extra long, and maybe some funny spring retainers....

I did a web search and was reminded of Racer Walsh....that company has been around for YEARS. I called them..they sell valvetrain made by REV....and ordered the valves I need, including the SINGLE lock groove I was wanting.

My biggest desire was excellent reliability for daily driver and once in a blue moon, to be able to wing it up to 5750 or so and not have to worry about my daily transportation (yes, I drive my 70 sportsroof daily)

I know that approaches the limits of flow of 2V cleveland heads on a 351......it'll be rare I even try it....but I wanted reliability....hopefully, I've solved my parts dilemma!!

I guess when I get the valves I need to check guide clearance/valve play, and lap the seats!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

wish me luck with my buildup!!

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Ferea makes race valves... you just need to call them to get the application. If you arent winding above 5750, then you probably dont need RACE valves anyway...

On another note, my bone stock (save VERY MILD cam intake and carb) Cleveland WILL wind past 6000 if I take the rev limiter off.

PS: I drive mine daily too /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Glad you stuck to your guns and figured it out...I think you'll be a lot more confident in the long run...

Persistence does pay off! *G*

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts