Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This refers to a 351 c "2v".

I just put on my edelbrock 600 manual choke with a performer. I have been playing with the mixtures and timing all day and It doesn't seem to have much up top. Now the holley I had on it before would pull to 5500 strong(but sputtering and backfiring in the process). I think it may be leaning out, but the manual choke version was supposed to run richer. The low end is pretty nice put it just runs out at 5k. My 2 barrell would shift at 5k. The cam is not stock but the specs are pretty close to it. My idle mixture screw settings won't have any affect on how it runs after 1500 rpm right?? With these edelbrocks you cant feel the secondary's open like you can with a holley. They seem to ease into it better.
I also want to note that above the 2 secondary plates(or butterfly valves or whatever their called), There are 2 more that are half open , and they stay like that. Is this normal?
Should I try jets, springs, what?? Oh, my plugs-- look nice and tan. Maybe a hint of lean in em.
Please don't say I need a single plane and a 750. Thanks.

btw. It is twice as fast as my 2 barrel and I can burn rubber from a 20 mph roll with 3.0 gears! So it's not too bad. Just needs some tuneing I guess.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
A 351c 2v starts to lay down at 5000 RPM especially with a little cam. Don't feel bad a stock windsor starts to lay down at 4000RPM. Make sure that your ignition is up to snuf and get a cam with and this is a ball park figure, duration [email protected] .050 and .5 to .530 lift. If you have a 600 cfm carb it's not your problem and the mixture screws are for idle only. Main jets are for the mixture at all out speed. I don't think at this time you should concern yourself with it unless you know it's the carb for sure. A set of headers would be nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for answering my question's sidewinder. After I posted this question I read my edelbrock manaua cover to cover twice. So I think I understand the edelbrock pretty good now.
I have headers, btw.
The car hauls a ss, It just run's into a brick wall at 5k. I guess a cam change will be in order. I was looking at 218/228 .512 .512 114 lobe sep , summit 75 dollar special. Or a comp 268h which is poplular with people running 2v's. 218/218 .488 . Ive always heard that you should ALWAYS use split duration on a cleveland. But, I forget is that applies to a 2v too.??

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Whats wrong with topping out at 5K? most cams daily drivers should use fall off on power about then.

BTW, when the tranny shifts, its because based on the throttle and vacuum inputs it has, it thinks its time

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run the Comp 268H cam with a performer intake, Road Demon 625cfm, forged pistons and rods, stock distributor with Petronix and flamethrower coil. Although I rarely have gone above 5,000 rpm, I know it will continue to pull strong. The difference could be the 4V heads on my Cleveland.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, when the tranny shifts, its because based on the throttle and vacuum inputs it has, it thinks its time

Thats when you leave it in auto mode right? I was manauly shifting the auto. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Its your cam....
I shifted at a little higher than 6k with both my Comp 275 DEH and my Lunati Bracket Master (the cam thats goin' in the new motor will need shifted between 6.5-7k) in my 2V, Performer intake-d C.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts