Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anybody here running one of these "clevor" motors? Does anyone have any idea how much hp they put out? These really interest me, and i may just have to try one if they work well. For those of you that have no idea what im talking about, go here http://www.darkhorseracing.net/clevor_headmod.htm

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
A while back someone from this board had a group buy for the Aussie heads. Not sure who or what the out come was with the ordering.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I'd be interested in this as well...

IIRC the allure to the Clevors was mating the good breathing Cleveland heads to a Windsor block...

In the '70s adding the C heads was a big improvement, but nowadays with all of the good aftermarket iron and aluminum head options I don't see the need unless you just want the period correct "neat" factor. Personally, I'd avoid the Clevor headaches and build a 351W with aftermarket heads - IMO for about the same result. Good luck - Dickson

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
IIRC, the Clevors all used 2V heads....considering the cost of the machine work and the special intake, Im afraid Id have to agree with the other posts....and Im a big Cleveland fan.

Now if an intake exists for a Clevor with 4V heads and a 351W block, and the heads were acquired cheap, it could be one NASTY engine for a good bit less cash than aluminum heads.

This all assumes you believe the Cleveland oiling problems story....lotta guys running Clevelands at 7K who post over at the Cleveland forums.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
bush performance engines located right here in the big city of fort smith, arkansas specializes in clevors. i've seen write-ups on them in several ford and mustang magazines. the link above says they are in michigan, but that's not right. the phone number has the old 501 area code, but it's 479 now in case anyone plans on calling them.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
While I'm a 351W fan because they are compact, common, very good block and oiling system and tons of excellent, modern aftermarket parts at reasonable prices.

But I have to admit that a 351C is intoxicating and strikes fear into other brands. When the 351C was in it's hey day, the problem with the oiling system wasn't that it couldn't do 6,500 rpm safely, it was from my understanding that for long durations, such as NASCAR or endurance that it was a problem. Short burst seemed to be OK such as drag racing. Also other problems of the day were thin cylinder walls. From all the articles I've read, none of the engine builders would recomend more then a .020 over bore unless partially filling the water jackets. They also use to say as far as 4 bolt mains, by the time you needed the strength, the cylinderwalls due to being thin, were in trouble at that point.

The biggest problems with the 351W are the big bearing sizes which creates high bearing speeds, heat and lost hp. Other wise a decent, strong block.

I could never understand why Ford just didn't slap the C heads onto a 351W as the did with the 302 BOSS.

I have to admit that if I had the money, I'd be tempted to build a Clevor too. But I'd stay away from the US 2V or 4V heads. I'd go straight to the Aussie heads with their superior chamber over the US 2V heads and good port and valve size for the street. Can you imagine a 351W poked to 400 inches with C heads dressed to look like a BOSS 302? How many brand X's would be fooled! And all the fun you could have, heheheh

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
In all honesty, the clevor was built to take advantage of the wonderful clevelands becasue factory windsor heads flow very poorly. With the over abundance of high quality aftermarket aluminum heads that are a bolt on for the wondsor motor, clevors are no longer needed. In fact the one company that made an intake for it, no longer do it, you need special pistons, and a huge amount of block machining that will all easily put you over the price of a very well prepped set of Twisted Wedge High Flow Heads that bolt on.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Actually.. the intakes are still being made by one of the original owners of B&A for Bush Performance, though still at a premium $450+ price tag... I have a Clevor, its actually my second build using these heads and intake.. If you can find the intake and heads at a good price, its a neat build.. I think you would get beter performance out of a set of aluminum heads designed for the windsor.. As for why ford never made a boss 351W.. its because it was not allowed in Trans Am racing which is what the boss 302 was designed for.. to replace the failing tunnel port 302's of 68.. If Trans Am had allowed for more Cubes then maybe we would have seen a Boss 351W.. or a more impressive imporved 351C than we already have.. One thing to considder if thinking of doing this build, is that headers are hard to get, and Pricey when fitting in the early stangs..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts