Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I know this has been discussed to no end and beaten to death but, I want to do this motor with a roller cam. It is somewhat budgetary because I own all of the key parts. I have all the instructions from Gary, the inventor of "the" intake.

What I have:

351W block, crank and rods
351C 1970 2V heads, non Aussie
351 Clevor 0.030 Hypereutectic pistons for stock 351W rods w/rings and pins
TrackBoss 351
Holley 3310-2

What I don't have:

Roller Cam and Conversion kit w/lifters
Valve and Springs
Rocker Arms
Push Rods
Guide Plates
Screw in studs

What I need (would like to know) is what would be the best cam grind for this application if I wanted to do some weekend road racing or autocrossing? I would use either the Crane or CompCam roller conversion kit. I'll have to custom fit the pushrods at some point. I also know I have to get the hardest ones I can find to withstand rubbing on the guide plates.

At some point it'll be sitting in front of a Tremec TKO or TKO II.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Toss the 3310-2 carb into the trash pile. I cannot say it any other way.
A 4160 series Holley is NOT what you want for a performance application.
A 4150 series IS what you need and should have.
Why handicap yourself with a carb that is only partially adjustable

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With all I've read about that particular carb, I'd have to agree. Since that was a freebie, the only loss will be the rebuild kit and the secondary metering block I got for it. I should be able to rebuild it and get my money out of it.

That being said:

I need carb choices! 4150...

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
but Cleveland heads don't and won't fit on a Windsor block with out extensive machining of the block and heads..just compare Windsor and Cleveland heads..not even close..I have heard of this swap..and I still can't figure out how Cleve heads fit on a Windsor block..ahhh never mind..maybe I am just too old to understand

·
Registered
191 Posts
Teebone...it's really not all that extenisive to do this swap. The heads basically are a bolt-on except that the coolant passages on the deck surface of the heads have to be plugged off and new ones drilled in the proper place on the intake face. Then you must use a special intake made for this conversion. The Boss 302 was essentially a Windsor block with Cleveland heads (and more! ;))

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I am sitting here looking at a set of Windsor heads and a set of Cleveland heads..beats the hell out of me how they fit..the clevelands are so much wider..but like I said..I am old and probably a little senile..*LOL*

·
Registered
566 Posts
The c head will hang off both ends of the W block. But the bolt pattern and bore spacing are the same so they will work. ie Boss 302

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
John,

I sent you a email. I building a "street boss" engine and I'm almost finished! I have a few tips and most of the parts you need.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
A couple of other comments as I have a clevor (albeit a 331 stroker with Aussie heads).

You already have the trackboss, but for others considering this you can order an adaptor plate which aloows Windsor intakes (ala AIR GAP RPM) to bolt up to the Cleveland heads.

Although the heads will work with the previously mentioned drilling and blocking of water passages, accessory brackets etc. have to be sourced, modified etc.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Bush Performance has a template that you can use to drill a new hole in the head to allow the use of the original alt. brackets, but I am trying to find an a/c bracket for my compressor. March Performance Pulleys has a crank pulley that will work on a new 50oz 4 bolt dampner, or if you used an older block with a 28oz dampner the stock pulley will work. I don't have power steering so I'm not worried about those brackets. :)

If anyone knows what bracket to use for a a/c compressor, please let me know. I think I'll need to fabricate something.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a street boss built on a 289 sitting in my garage.. Easy build, though the bracket issue can get anoying depending on what heads you start with.. My heads alternator mounting point doesn not match any bracket I have sourced.. Even the original Boss brackets don't line up, so I will be making my own when the time comes to install.. I'm even considering a 393 clevor for a future build..

Good Luck and enjoy

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got the part number for the bracket mount that was made for this and the where and how to drill and tap the holes. I just don't have all my parts!

Brad is helping though.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got the part number for the bracket mount that was made for this and the where and how to drill and tap the holes. I just don't have all the internal parts!

Brad is helping though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.