Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a new law in Florida that you can be stopped by a cop if they notice that you are not wearing a seat belt. I believe that it use to be that they had to stop you on some other infraction before the seat belt violation. I've been wearing seat belts since 1963. Have any of you with the seat belt minus the shoulder belt been stopped? It's not visible from the road that you have the seat belt on in older Mustangs. I suspect that younger cops might not understand that shoulder belts were not standard in the "old days". :shrug:

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Not yet, but I'm sure the day is coming. I only hope it's not the Highway Patrol,some can be real Di*ks at times.Especially after they stop you thinking they got you dead to rights only to find out that you are wearing a lap belt.I got a feeling that will realy piss'em off and they will probably write you a ticket anyway and say "tell it to the judge boy" :shrug:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I personally don't think the Govt has the right to tell anyone over 18 to wear a seat belt or helmet, but I always use both. In Denver it's a secondary offense. Meaning they can't pull you over for just your seat belt but they can ticket you for it if you're pulled over for something else.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I am just waiting for the stop....I plan to keep my hands visible so I cannot be accused of putting it on as he approaches. That is if my pipes don't get me stopped first.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Around here the police seem to be aware of the older cars not having shoulder belts or not any seatbelts at all. I haven't heard of anyone being harassed by the police either with an older car, from what I've seen and the numerous check points I've driven through with my 68 they just waive you through and don't bother you. My 68 was the only car I never wore the seatbelt in either since they didn't work until I had them restored by Ssnake-Oyl.

I live 3-4 minutes from a major highway and the state police are often on the entrance/exit ramps looking for violations and at times doing DWI checks. I've always been waived through with the Mustang while they are randomly stopping other drivers when checking for DWI. I've gotten a few thumbs up from them and just waive back!

Here in town they won't bother me, I know a few of them and was even invited to have my car on display during on of the D.A.R.E. events where they had emergency vehicles on display. I've found that atleast half the people in law enforcement are into some sort of vehicles whether they actually have one or would like to have one.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have been considering modyfing my car for 3 point belts just for this reason.
I will almost guarantee most cops dont know about lap belts, and if you get pulled over they will probably think its illegal and give you a ticket anyways untill you get it "fixed".
When I go to the local track I always get stopped to check for seatbelts, another reason to get the 3-point belts for me.
It would suck to get pulled over for no reason.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I figure it might happen with some officers based on their knowledge. Once the laws newness has worn off, things will go back to normal. At least in Fl, I have not been pulled over so the cop can see my car. It happened twice in Az with my last '66.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Fastback Fox said:
I personally don't think the Govt has the right to tell anyone over 18 to wear a seat belt or helmet...
From a personal liberty standpoint, I agree. But the problem with that thinking is that we all pay the medical expenses of crash victims. So, you're expenses will go way up because you chose not to use protection, and we all have to pay.

If it weren't for that, I'd say live and let live.

Smoking is similar - if you want to risk cancer or heart disease, that's your call (even though it probably costs me financially, too). But don't make me choose between going where I want and breathing clean air.

I'm all for letting people do (or not do) what they want as long as it doesn't negatively affect me.

·
Registered
557 Posts
In vermont we have the same law. I thought I would ask the state police before I got stopped. I was told that you have to wear what came with the car. Just the same as car inspection. They can't make me put side markers on my 67. 67 was a turning year for safety. After 67 side mrkers and seat belt had to be in the car

Put a 3 point seat belt in a classic is like put seat belts in a model T

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Fastback Fox said:
I personally don't think the Govt has the right to tell anyone over 18 to wear a seat belt or helmet...

But if that person were mortally injured without insurance I bet you'd expect the Government to send out paramedics, take him to a hospital, and do everything possible to save his life... :shrug:

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
I personally don't think the Govt has the right to tell anyone over 18 to wear a seat belt or helmet
Of course they do.

A drivers license is a contract with the state. By accepting one you agree to abide by the rules of the road. In return they grant you the use of the public roads, meaning you abide by the rules you agreed to when accepting the license while on those roads.

It's not a constitutional right, as some seem to think, to get a license at 16 and do whatever you feel like on the roads... or maybe I missed that article or amendment! :p ;)

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
pprince said:
I have never been pulled over in the 18 years of ownership of my 65.
Yea, but Ontario and Fla. are 2 different worlds.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
dalorzo_f said:
A drivers license is a contract with the state. By accepting one you agree to abide by the rules of the road. In return they grant you the use of the public roads, meaning you abide by the rules you agreed to when accepting the license while on those roads.

It's not a constitutional right, as some seem to think, to get a license at 16 and do whatever you feel like on the roads... or maybe I missed that article or amendment! :p ;)
You hit the nail on the head. A lot of people don't understand that driving is a privilege and not a right. That's why you can get your license revoked if you pile up too many tickets.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have a 4'5" tall stuffed moose I take to car cruise ins. I had him sitting in the front seat when filling up at the gas station the local cop comes over and asked me if I had it seat belted in or secured. didnt even think of it I thought he was kidding till he said secure him down or get ticketed. I guess he could go flying in and block my view when im driving. so now the moose rides in the trunk till i get to the cruise in. http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee191/jamison42166/HoogooseDMoose005.jpg

·
Registered
537 Posts
I dont disagree with the new law, and I have been wearing seatbelts since I started driving in the late 70's.
My only concern is getting pulled over for no reason just because the common shoulder belt is not visible.
I have been pulled over very few times and it has always been a pain, in South Florida you are just one more person in a sea of millions of motorists and the cops are used to less than friendly attitudes.
Maybe I can get a sign that says lap belt in use

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
1972vert said:
I dont disagree with the new law, and I have been wearing seatbelts since I started driving in the late 70's.
My only concern is getting pulled over for no reason just because the common shoulder belt is not visible.
I have been pulled over very few times and it has always been a pain, in South Florida you are just one more person in a sea of millions of motorists and the cops are used to less than friendly attitudes.
Maybe I can get a sign that says lap belt in use
I agree with the law as well as I wear mine always, just wondering the attitude once I'm pulled over. Hopefully he's a car guy.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
I'm a police officer and I've been to and investigated hundreds of accidents. I've seen some of the most mangled looking cars where everyone walked away either uninjured, or with just bumps and bruises because they were belted in. I've seen some very minor accidents where people weren't belted in and suffered major injuries. Great example was an accident I investigated recently. The lady driving a 2008 Trailblazer rear ended a car. Not belted. She ate the steering wheel and windshield. No air bag deployment because it wasn't a hard enough impact. She had a hole above her upper lip that was large enough to stick your finger through. Her nickname is going to be scarface from now on. Had she been belted, maybe a bruise from the belt.

The thing that really chaps my hide is the parents driving around with their kids bouncing around unbelted. That's a guaranteed ticket from me. My opinion is, if you don't want to wear a seatbelt, fine. That's your choice as an adult. But don't make that choice for your kid and risk his neck (literally). I don't want to have to do CPR again on a 2 year old child on Christmas Eve in the middle of the highway and watch him die in front of his mother because he wasn't belted in.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts