Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...,

My friend was very grateful for the breackdown of his VIN
plate... Now he has asked me to pose this one for you!!

Having travelled in the '66 i can tell you that this clicking noise
appears to come from the rear driver side wheel and varies from a mild, almost inaudible click while accelerating, or
moderate braking, to a quite loud metallic sounding clicking whilst the gas pedal is lightly used ::

It is very obvious that it is one click per one revolution of the wheel, so i guess that this would exclude the diff?? or axle??
but while each wheel is in the air and spun by hand nothing is obvious :( He hasn't delved into the brake drum yet, but could the cause lie with the brake pads or associated bits??

This is about all i can offer at this stage... I wonder if it is a "common" ailment that is easily recognised by you guys??

I...and Martin... wait to hear back... Thanks a lot ... :D

TREVOR..........

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well, sounds like you have done the first stages of diagosis. You know where its coming from, and you can discribe the sound in pretty good detail. Your axle is running at the same RPM as the wheel, so it could be anything from your dif on out to the wheel. I would suspect brakes, because that has the most complex parts in that section. Something may have come lose. You shouldnt be afraid of just popping that wheel off & taking a look. It could be caused by load as well, thats why your not hearing it when the car is off the ground.
Does it have rims or hub caps. HC's are notorious for making noise :p

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys..,

appreciate the input so far :)
It has a set of ARE five spoke rims, so it isn't anything to do with hubcaps!! When the clicking really kicks off it is VERY obviously not a nail or any object in the tire..... very metallic and loud...as if somebody is managing to rap the hub every revolution with a welding chipping hammer... the best i can describe it as ::
I welcome any more input...

Thanks ...... trevor

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Do those ARE's have billet centercaps with one srcrew holding them on? If so, it could be that the screw is too tight. I know it sounds nuts, but I had a set of billet centerlines on my 5.0 and would get a similar sound if I tightened the centercap too tight.

·
Registered
33,680 Posts
Check that the wheels are properly seated. I've seen this before with wheels that are loose, and especially with "unilug" style wheels.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys....,

Martin drove the '66 to work today, and over lunch the
wheel in question came off, followed by the hub... Absolutely
nothin' untoward or damaged ::, and all rotated freely!!....
to answer Red66's idea... the center caps are held on with 5
Allen screws and don't appear to offer the problem you suggest! :(.... Soo.... at this point we are out of ideas!!!

Any more ideas gratefully received THANKS........

I might add that it does not really seem to be an " oh my god
don't drive it" kind of noise ::

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Another thought...

Since the noise doesnt happen with the car in the air, it sounds like maybe it could be something in the differential when it is under load. The sound could be coming from inside the diff case and it's loud because it is traveling through the axle tube or even the driveline. I had an emergency brake cable that was rattling against my driveline once and it sounded like it was the wheel.

Just throwing stuff out there.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts