Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted the reply below to 70MOCWON's question about the clock (on the old board). I though it might be useful to post it here, for reference.

The clocks work like this.

There is a set of points that provide the ground path for an electromagnet. The points close when the clock needs to be 're-wound'. When the points close, the electromagnet is energized and draws one side of the points towards the electromagnet. This action actually throws the other contact away from the first pair, inturn winding the spring that keeps the clock going.

Try to move the point contact that has what looks like a weight on it, with a spring wrapped around it. The clock should start running at that point, maybe for a minute or two. If it doesn't, spray WD-40 on all of the gears, or look for a broken spring.

If the electromagnet doesn't work, you can try to re-wind it. I think it uses 28 gage magnet wire (you have to get this at an electronics store). My clock had this problem. I re-wound the electromagnet, and it worked for about 4 hours. Then the severely worn points stuck and fried the electromagnet wiring again. At that point, I sent the entire set (mine is a rally pac) off to Tach-man (www.tachman.com). According to UPS, he got the package today. I should see it again in three weeks.

I hope this didn't overload you.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
That's very informative. I wonder if they changed the design by '78? The original clock in my Friggin' Futura didn't work when I got the car so I went and stuffed a not so correct '81 Fairmont clock into it (face design is different). There was an article in some Electronics magazine that outlined a method of installing electronic guts to replace the burned up points (kind of reminds me of Petronics ignition systems now that I think of it).

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts