Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years the routine was the same: Set the clock and snap the setting-knob a couple of times and the clock would come to life. At least for a day of so. Last year it finally stopped for good and I was fortunate to find a wrecked dash with a good clock that has now also expired. I dissasembled one of them and found a main-spring with an arm that settled down on a set of points that fired a solenoid kicking the arm back to thus wind the spring and making that ocasional bzzzt sound that I always wondered about.
The question: Does anybody rebuild those things or is there a more modern remedy to replace that part? Or is there a new clock mechanism that accepts the original face?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Try The Clock Works, They are on the internet and located in Eagle River Wisconsin.
They redid my T bird clock and it has run perfect ever since.
The price was $39.95 plus a shipping fee,they also do quartz conversion, but I kinda' like the ticking sound myself.
hope this helps

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right...Convertible!!

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
Try Tachman . He'll repair it, give you a very limited warantee, and will try and convince you that you'd do better with a quartz conversion. He will repair it, though. Maybe it just needs a cleaning? Try electronic cleaner, keeping it away from the clock face. Then add a few dabs of oil to the moving parts.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
145 Posts
For what it's worth, when I bought my car last year the clock was not working. I cleaned the points with a fine file and has been working fine ever since. I kinda like hearing that pop every minuet or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts