Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I pulled out my 40lb HF pot blaster today to strip the used fender apron I am using to replace my damaged apron. It sat outside for years and is pretty rusty. I started blasting it ( I am using Black Beauty coal slag from HF). It started off great, cleaned about 1/4 of the apron beutifully. They I stopped to refill it. After that I could barely get it to run without clogging. It came with very minimal instructions.

There are four ball valves. One to cut off/ adjust pressure into the blaster, one that controls pressure through the hose, and one that controls the flow of media into the airstream. The final one is at the door of the hose to turn the blaster on and off.

Does anyone have techniques to get good reliable operation? What pressure do you run it at? ( I was running 100 psi). How much do you open the valves for air pressure and media feed?

I drained my compressor before starting and aided an inline filter, but I think moisture may be part of the issue. Can't get any from humidity here in FL.

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a pic to show how well it worked before it started clogging up.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,538 Posts
Moisture is definitely your enemy. Even though you drained your compressor prior to starting, I'm guessing based on your location your are building lots of condensation as you go. Lift in the South has its pluses and minuses. You can try to open the media valve a little more, but I'm guessing you will need a better dryer.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
It sounds like moisture in your media. It has to be bone dry to flow.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I was afraid of that. I'll have to get creative and add some inline dryers

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Hi, I pulled out my 40lb HF pot blaster today to strip the used fender apron I am using to replace my damaged apron. It sat outside for years and is pretty rusty. I started blasting it ( I am using Black Beauty coal slag from HF). It started off great, cleaned about 1/4 of the apron beutifully. They I stopped to refill it. After that I could barely get it to run without clogging. It came with very minimal instructions.

There are four ball valves. One to cut off/ adjust pressure into the blaster, one that controls pressure through the hose, and one that controls the flow of media into the airstream. The final one is at the door of the hose to turn the blaster on and off.

Does anyone have techniques to get good reliable operation? What pressure do you run it at? ( I was running 100 psi). How much do you open the valves for air pressure and media feed?

I drained my compressor before starting and aided an inline filter, but I think moisture may be part of the issue. Can't get any from humidity here in FL.

Thanks for any ideas.
I'm kinda in a similar situation.........using the 20 lb unit but I think it runs the same. I have a dryer but in my case, I feel my media is too course. When it works well it really strips. I've been using a sand from Tractor Supply and I added a dead man's valve that seems to help. I crank up the pressure to 125 psi. I searched the 'net and found that most guys tend to tweak the valves to make it run the best. Still trying to figure it out as I strip a vintage tricycle for our Daughter--might be an afternoon job on Father's Day tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
You may also wanna strain your black beauty. I have a "kettle screen" I use. They sell them just for this. Just went thru this this past week sand blasting my open trailer fender wells. Although I don't leave mine outside for years. Little chunks can clog the gun.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm pretty sure I got some crud in the media, so that isn't helping. I was going. To make a strainer out of screen. I'd be very interested in the Kettle screen.

My local HF isn't selling the Black Beauty. What are the best alternatives, or alternate suppliers? It seems to work really well and wasn't too expensive.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts

·
Registered
20,861 Posts
As the others have said it could be moisture. It can also be the size of the media you're using. I ha e a siphon blaster. It will not work unless I use fine play sand. Anything else just clogs the gun the same as you described.

P

·
0 Posts
Force pressure back up the tip/nozzle every once in a while and putting your finger over the outlet hole.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Force pressure back up the tip/nozzle every once in a while and putting your finger over the outlet hole.
Thanks Pete, good idea. I actually got it to flow once, by connecting my air source to the nozzle and forcing the flow backwards. Only lasted a minute or so though so I still need to solve the moisture/media issue.

Anyone have suggestions for the best moisture solutions? I bought an inline filter and will start with that. Do I need to dry out my media first? I have a media filter on order.

I am also thinking a dead man switch would work better that the current nozzle. Anyone know a good source for one?

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
I had to mess with the ball valve at the bottom of the tank to keep mine from clogging. As I recall, if it was open all the way, it would clog and I ended up with it about halfway open for consistent media flow.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I have been through the same thing. I have been using Black Diamond from TSC....only source around here. Here is what I found.
Follow the pressure recommendations.
Make sure your air is dry.
Filter the media, I had to tear mine down when it stopped and found pieces of wire which had clogged the bottom valve.
AND THE NUMBER 1 THING: Mine will run all day with the fine media but will give me fits with the medium. The medium might work great for 30 minutes or 1 minute, but it will suddenly start caking up. I started using the fine and even with the air dryer disconnected, it works with it.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I had to mess with the ball valve at the bottom of the tank to keep mine from clogging. As I recall, if it was open all the way, it would clog and I ended up with it about halfway open for consistent media flow.
Same thing I found--even though the instructions tell you to have it wide open. Maybe with finer sand you could run it full open?

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought the kettle strainer from TP tools. It worked great. Hoping for a dry day this weekend to try again. I am really concerned about moisture. I have a desiccant dryer at the compressor and an inline desicant filter at the blaster, but I think water is still coming through. TP tools sellers some expensive filters running from $100 up. What do most people use in humid environments?

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 27 Posts