Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
That's interesting. Every other rusted cowl hat I've seen loses the hat part or rusts right at the base. Yours rusted further away and left the hat.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's interesting. Every other rusted cowl hat I've seen loses the hat part or rusts right at the base. Yours rusted further away and left the hat.
I think it's because the dirt and leaves that piled up somehow insulated the hats and then the water sat up on the walls a bit . I dunno , my old 65 rusted off the hats and not much of the metal . This car suffered from sitting around under a tree . Best I can figure is it was pretty rust free until it broke around 1982 and was then parked . The normal spots to rust if driven are perfect but the normal spots to rust from sitting around are wasted .
Leaves killed the doors , quarters , cowl and floor pans . The trunk floor got wasted from the rear window gasket splitting a 1 inch gap and pouring water directly into the trunk .

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The hood of the car :)
Im pretty sure at one time it was a NOS hood . It's got the red primer under the blue paint . The car was repainted 1 time , and I think it was done when the hood was installed . It seems like it may have white paint on the hood under the blue and then to the red oxide primer . I can't be for sure as the paint looks like a barf bag . The hood is bent and rotted all over the front so it's just a engine cover for the time being . When my carport is finished being closed in Im tossing the hood in the metal recycle pile :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts