Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the closest modern paint available that gives the look of the factory original paint? Im not a fan of base coat/clear coat on vintage cars. I used acrylic enamel to paint my last 2 Mustangs but thats been several years. Thanks

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always thought that the original paint was acrylic enamel. Is it no longer available?
I really dont know and searching the net, I get conflicting answers. Enamel for sure. The last one I painted Wimbledon White, I used a single stage acrylic enamel and it looked pretty factory to me, with the exception of a few bugs and runs ;). I painted it in my backyard....... Im a year away from painting my current mustang but just thinking ahead. Im going to do the body work and have someone shoot it in their booth this time. If I didnt drive the car everyday, I would get a really nice paint job but, living in the Dallas-Ft.Worth metroplex, you cant keep anything looking nice very long so, why bother.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
AE is still available, you can mail order from tcpglobal. This is PPG Omni MAE w/hardener from a pro supplier. I got just a quart to practice and make sure I like the color, I'm luuuvvving it.
Top is horrible orange peel off a new gun, bottom is wet sanded some and buffed. KIMG1173.jpg KIMG0911.jpg
Top and bottom refers to top pic:wink:

·
Registered
35,869 Posts
Well, the original paint was an alkyd stoving enamel which needed to be baked to around 250*F for a half-hour. While you can still find paint booths with heat I doubt you'll find any that will a) get THAT hot and b) you'll be refinishing a vehicle stripped of it's "meltable" components to that degree.

Probably the closest you'll find to an easily applied comparable finish would be an acrylic enamel, but I'd use one with a hardener. Acrylic URETHANE would be the next option as it's more durable but also, since it's a two-component, a bit harder to spray and you DEFINITELY need full protective equipment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts