Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today is Christmas (Merry Christmas, all!) and I took a little time after lunch to give the car pictured below a little work out.

Since this summer there has been a noise in the front suspension, but $$$ has been really tight this year and I haven't addressed it yet.

So here's the situation. It's a '67 coupe, restored with "original" suspension components. 4,000 miles since rebuild. Car tracks true, does not pull on acceleration or deceleration, and doesn't do anything over mild bumps. Over harsh bumps, something "clunks" - and frankly sounds like something is loose - and it sounds / feels like it's in the front left.

Could this be as simple as something loose, or did a bearing / bushing go out? I have crawled under the car and nothing is "loose" per se, but I'm not a mechanic (duh!).

Any insight would be great.

·
Registered
456 Posts
:( I had the same problem with a friend's Calif Special that I put mail order upper control arms on. They fit great, looked great, but made a terrible noise on bumps. Once I did some further checking I learned the hard way the differance between Ford / O.E.M. and China reproductions.
I ended up rebuilding his Ford arms with new Quality parts and 7 years later, still no noise. I'm not sure if there are markings to look for or if they are even visiable to determine if your arms are of "lower quality". Just a thought.
Bill, Las Vegas Nevada :p

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I had the same problem on a 68. Not sure if your problem is the same as what I had. But on mine the strut rod mounting holes in the lower control arm on one side had elongated to an egg shape. When the load was altered it would clunk. But at rest, the weight of the car and the location of the strut rod and bolts mafe it impossible to see/detect. It was not until I replaced the entire front suspension during the restoration that I found the problem.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Might also check how tight the nuts are on the upper control arm bolts. Everytime I get my car back from an alignment shop all they do is loosen the upper control arm bolts until the camber is correct, then I tighten them and the camber is off. Anyway, this is similar to the sound it makes when I am rolling back from the alignment shop and hit some bumps.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I also had the same problem with the cheap repro upper control arms. I tired everything to fix the problem and nothing worked. Threw them away and replaced my UCAs with OpenTracker arms and the problem never returned.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I had the same problem with my 65. Turned out to be a broken headlight bucket on the passenger side. Apparently the front clip would flex enough over railroad tracks to cause the clunk.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Tom, My 68 was doing the same thing and it turned out to be ball joints, I had replaced them and they only had around 7,000 miles on them and had to replace them again. See if you can find Moog parts if you have to replace anything.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
WhiteLightning66 said:
Everytime I get my car back from an alignment shop all they do is loosen the upper control arm bolts until the camber is correct, then I tighten them and the camber is off.
:mad: I would go near that kind of after first time. Obviously, they don't know how alignment is set.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
ya unless im missing something here, you dont adjust camber by loosening up the UCA bolts.. You adjust by loosening up the LCA mounting bolt and turning its "CAM" either clockwise or counterclockwise...

just me "2" cents...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Had a simular sound on my new front end rebuild that drove me crazy...one of my new spring purches had failed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts