Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I am at low RPM and around 5-15 MPH the transmission (I think) is clunking. Usually in a stop and go situation in traffic or driving around my community.

I checked the fluid level. It was a bit low, but I added some and it still makes the noise. I also thought it might of had something to do with the hot weather, but it does it in the morning too when its cool.

I'm not sure when the last time its been serviced, but the fluid is still pretty pink. I will be doing that soon just to be safe.

I did some searches and read that loose u-joints and or transmission mounts could cause this. It runs pretty well at higher speeds (knock on wood). Shifts are smooth and strong.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Thanks

·
Registered
680 Posts
I would check, or have the U joints checked...That sounds like the problem to me. You don't want one to give way while you are driving....No fun, and gets expensive to repair damage...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mounts are the original rubber bushings and shot I'm sure.

How should I go about checking the u-joints?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
put it in neutral, get under the car in a SAFE manner, and try to rotate the driveshaft....as you reverse the direction you turn it, see if the yokes move differently than the driveshaft (and any clunks occur)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts