Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '68 coupe suddenly developed a clunking or knocking sound whenever it is coasting. I'm pretty sure it is not the automatic transmission, and definately not the engine. It only occurs when I let off the gas and coasting to a stop. Any ideas on what could be causing this and possible solutions?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi, If it is only making noise when you are coasting, the it is most likely on of the u-joints

·
Registered
285 Posts
Its probably as the above two posts said, u-joints. But just for another perspective, I just had a clunking from the rear that only appeared when I was braking. I figured it was the rear brakes. When I pulled the drums I found that the rear axle bearing had failed and the axle shaft was the culprit.
Not sure why I only noticed it when braking. Just thought I'd throw that out as something else to check as well.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a followup, just so anyone else has the same problem...

I discovered that the lug nuts on my wheels (Cragers) were bottoming out just tight enough to look like they were on solidly but allowing the washer to move.

The noise was a loose wheel. I need to get lugs nuts with a shorter shank and the problem should be solved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts