Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone want to see a common cause of clutch chatter?

Hot spots on the clutch and flywheel:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/ryandnowicki/Engine%20Bay%20-%20Before%20-%20Sept%2007/Image085.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/ryandnowicki/Engine%20Bay%20-%20Before%20-%20Sept%2007/Image084.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/ryandnowicki/Engine%20Bay%20-%20Before%20-%20Sept%2007/Image088.jpg

It was so bad that the entire car would violently shake like crazy! :p

So glad that flywheel and old 3-finger-clutch are now gone...

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Rorin67 said:
Its been a while since my swap, but If you went with a T-5, shouldn't you have changed to the 28oz, 157 tooth flywheel?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
fast68back said:
Rorin67 said:
Its been a while since my swap, but If you went with a T-5, shouldn't you have changed to the 28oz, 157 tooth flywheel?
I was under the impression that which flywheel to use had more to do with which engine you have, i.e. the older 289/302/351W use the 28oz. and the newer 5.0 engines use the 50oz. , or do I have it backwards?

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
The spots might have been caused by a worn clutch fork . If the fork is bent or worn it will not engage correctly . The pivot for the fork can also be worn and cause misalignment . If the fork is not at a 90 degree angle to the clutch fingers , it will not push the throw-out bearing evenly and will result in one side of the pressure plate releasing early . The early release you don't feel but it also means one side of the plate will engage early and that is where the chatter starts .

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Found this:
For those using mechanical linkage, the throwout lever must be adapted to the bell housing mounted on a ¾" spacer. There will be two holes that need to be drilled through the bell housing to mount the throw out arm and spacer as well. As with the Early bell housings, a cross member and yoke are necessary to complete the swap. When going this route, remember that late-model flywheels (82+) are not balanced for early 289/302 motors and will create severe vibration problems if bolted up. Ford changed the balance of the flywheel from 28 oz. to 50 oz. so be careful to use the right flywheel for your engine.
Here

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lemondrop said:
The spots might have been caused by a worn clutch fork . If the fork is bent or worn it will not engage correctly . The pivot for the fork can also be worn and cause misalignment . If the fork is not at a 90 degree angle to the clutch fingers , it will not push the throw-out bearing evenly ... and that is where the chatter starts .
Ahah - looks like you identified EXACTLY what happened. My clutch eventually failed because one day the clutch fork pivot point actually broke off from the bellhousing. This left the fork with nothing to pivot on, and left me stranded on the side of the road calling AAA... }:|

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
red390GT said:
fast68back said:
Rorin67 said:
I was under the impression that which flywheel to use had more to do with which engine you have, i.e. the older 289/302/351W use the 28oz. and the newer 5.0 engines use the 50oz. , or do I have it backwards?
Not backwards - you have it correct. The original flywheel mated to my 69 351W block was a 28oz 157 tooth, which was then replaced with a brand new 28oz 157 tooth. I know I could have tried to resurface the old one, but everything in there is now new, so I opted for a new flywheel as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts