Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to pick out a clutch fan to my 65. Engine setup is a 5.0 with stock 65 289 style water pump and pulleys. Radiator is an aluminum 2 row with similar dimensions to a stock 3 row. I’m looking through the NPD catalog and am experiencing confusion:

What year/size clutch fan should I order for optimal cooling? (Not worried about originality)
What spacers, bolts, clutch do I need?
Bolts?
What shroud? Radiator is 65 size but fan will be larger. 17”? 18””? 5 blade? 6 blade?

Basically I need everything from the pulley forward but it will be a mix/match of years and I’d like to get it right.

I’ll probably be ordering from NPD so if you know the exact parts/numbers that would help also.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
You have to stick with the correct diameter fan, 17". Anything larger will hit the hoses. Of course, this will allow you to use the stock 65-66 shroud.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10-4. So 17” fan it is. Should I need a spacer or does the clutch take the place of the spacers.

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
The length of the shaft on the clutch eliminates the need for a spacer.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I bought these from Summit, happy with both in my 65 289.

Derale clutch fan 17117 $40.99

Hayden fan clutch 2710 $30.99

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are the same part numbers I found that I suspected would work. Thank you for confirming.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Ideally, you should position the blades within a 1" of the Rad surface. The blades should be, within, the shroud, approx. 50%. These are known parameters for cooling efficiency.

·
Registered
20,998 Posts
Currently I'm running a late 69's GM 18" thermostatic clutch fan I bought off CL. The clutch is a 75 Impala 350 part. I do not have a fan shroud and the blades are at least 1.5" from the core. The clutch is about .5" from the core. Even with my less then idea set up it's been working great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts