Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a guy tell me that the fan I have on it now is why my gas mileage is so low. He said that I should get a clutch fan, or an electric fan...those would help my mileage.

Is that true?

·
Registered
9,812 Posts
Absolutely. I picked up 2 mpg in my 71 just by switching from a factory flex fan to a thermal clutch fan. Engine noise was also reduced significantly and the motor felt stronger and more responsive. Best $50 I ever spent, got my clutch and fan blade from Advance.

An electric is truly the best way, but the investment can be significantly higher and the installation is a bit more involved with the wiring and such.

10 Minutes + $50 = 2 mpg improvement .... sound math in my book.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Saw you posting about clutch fan. I am trying to install my original clutch fan but with my 4 row radiator its too tight. I was wondering if you know of a smaller size clutch fan that might work? My original is about 3.5" front to back. Any thoughts? I tried a GM clutch fan but the water pump holes dont align. Is there a later model ford that might work. i went to advance and they need an application ( specific car-clutch fan to look for). Thanks for your help>>>?

·
Registered
9,812 Posts
I tried one from a 78 Fairmont 302. It fit, so I went to Advance and got one for that application. It fits my 71 just fine, but I have at least 6" from pump to radiator. Was Imperial part# 215011. You could try just about any later 70's vehicle. Might even be able to use an 80's 5.0 fan. Be careful of the standard and reverse rotation (generally serpentine belt) applications. You could probably visit a boneyard and bring a tape measure.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts