Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working on getting the T5 (Z-Rated/T5 bellhousing/cable activated) in the Stang. Got a question on the flywheel/clutch combo.

I've got a great early smallblock flywheel. Been resurfaced, has another grinding or two in her, and has 157 fine looking teeth. This 28 oz model, as I understand it, will only except a 10" diameter clutch. I have been eyeing up the centerforce 1 or 2. Pretty pricey.

I've been looking at the 10 1/2" clutch combo's for later model Stangs. Lot more to choose from, and might have better luck finding a deal.

My question; Is the 10 1/2" possible with the right flywheel? What is the right flywheel? Clutch/PP preference?

Thanks in advance, just want to do it right.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Pick up a late model flywheel (50oz) and have it rebalanced to match your 28oz. It will fit in the bellhousing, and mate up to the late model clutch....

Should be able to pick one up at a yard for a decent price.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Ford Racing sells steel flywheel with 28lbs unbalance. That's what my friend just bought for the same reason. Steel is a lot better idea than cast iron. You can certainly sell your flywheel to someone doing auto -> manual swap.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
They do make 28oz imbalance flywheels. I got my aluminum unit from The Mustang Depot (online) for a great price. I am not sure if they handle steel units, but I would give them a try.

I am not sure if a vintage unit can be drilled for a 10 1/2" clutch. That may be an option.

You will likely spend $160 to $200 for a 10 1/2" diaphram clutch (non centerforce)

It is amazing how this conversion adds up. It is worth it once it is done.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
By the way, I am using the Ford Racing "King Cobra" Clutch/PP kit and like it very much. It is made by Valeo so you might be able to find the same thing not under the Ford Racing name for less. It runs $199 from Summit.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The mounting bolts should be the same for a 10", and 10.5" clutch set. You only have to go to the 164 tooth flywheel if you want a 11" clutch. Early cars...65-66 used the 157 tooth flywheel, if you get a late model flywheel (wrong inbalance) it will be to big with 164 teeth.
The 10.5 will work great.

Rob

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I picked up an aluminum flywheel from Bruce at www.moderndriveline.com that is flexible. It can accept either the 10 or 10 1/2 inch clutch and it also has different counterweights so you can go with 28 or 50 ounces.

He can probably give you some advice on what is possible as he has done many of these conversions.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Before buying a alloy flywheel, consider that the lighter storaged energy in flywheel can make driving on streets difficult. Try to test drive one to see if you like it. Alloy is very nice for road racers, but not for drag racing or street driving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts