Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I tore it all back down and what I found follows:
The inner metal part of the clutch disc had a groove where one or more of the plate fingers had contacted the surface.
Also the clutch fork is very loose rocking back and forth in the bell housing, I first noticed this when I crawled back under the car and noticed that the rod from the equalizer bar to the fork was misaligned and when I pulled on it, it was rubbing against the case.
I also failed to mention in earlier posts that the whole reason for this project was I had a hellacious noise when I pushed in the clutch.
I have compared all new parts to old and they are identical.
Could my problem have been that lousy little spring clip that the clutch fork is held to the bell housing with?
Would this explain why I had no resistance at the pedal?
If I had to guess, I would say that the T/O brng was so misaligned that it was only depressing one of the 3 clutch fingers, which would explain the groove in the disc as well as the tranny still being engaged with the pedal fully depressed.
Anyone know how tight the fork is supposed to be in the bellhousing?
Rob

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right...Convertible!!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Yup, likely that spring clip. The fork should be difficult to pull off the pivot ball. If the clip is not holding it down solidly, bend the clip until it will.

Hal
Love hard, drive fast, wear your seat belt.

PS, that's my 'bird...... My Mustang is too ugly to take pictures of yet........*G*.

http://www.teleport.com/~cosa/bird2.jpg

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After looking closer at the new AND old pressure plates I notice a curious thing. The fingers on both plates are not even almost as if they are stepped, each one a little higher than the next.
It is the same on both, does this help in figuring out what is going on here?

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right...Convertible!!

G

·
0 Posts
If I were you, I'd haul that stuff up to a tranny place and ask them for advice...lots of times they'll help out if they are not in a foul mood. It gives them a chance to show off how smart they are :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts