Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference between the thickness of automatic block plates and manual plates? When torqued, my starter grinds, but with the torqu loos3ened(1 turn) the grinding goes away. It is a manual with an automatic plate. Thanks

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I don't think there is a difference in thickness between the plates...my guess would be the starter is different from manual to auto...the difference is in the snout...but as I said that is a guess. Is there any visual markings on the starter once removed...it's always fun to take it out 3,4, or even 5 times...get back when you find out more, or see if someone can give you more specifics on the starters. good luck, tp.

I'm not sure I understood/answered your question correctly...are you sure the interference is with the flywheel and block plate? Did you change from auto to man. trans? Sorry my brain isn't working now... tp.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had an old style manual starter and it wold not disengage from the flywheel completely(it turned as long as the engine did) and an automatic required 2 shims to clear. The bellhousing is from an 84 truck and I have the matching starter. We will see. I amy go back to the origional manual and try shimming it. Thanks everyone

1 - 4 of 4 Posts