Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to put the clutch linkage on the car and wondering what the correct lubrication is, or at least what'll work now. Don't have a reference to tell me what they used originally, and not impressed with my recent common sense decisions. Seen several opinions on this with both greases mentioned. Thinking the lithium might be a bit thin for this type exterior application so leaning to the wheel bearing grease (for all clutch lube points, including the Z bar and balls). Also have seen differing opinions on how much to use, from put in a zerk and fill that M up to a little dab'll do ya.

So you MT folks, what do you use?

Tx as always.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've used whatever is closest to me :).

With that said, wheel bearing grease is fine- a little goes a long way.

·
Registered
36,713 Posts
If you put a zerk in the equalizer bar I'd use regular chassis grease there, but in the other places I'd use Syl Glyde.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I advocate chassis grease too. I think lithium is too thin and will turn to gum in time.

·
Registered
920 Posts
If you put a zerk in the equalizer bar I'd use regular chassis grease there, but in the other places I'd use Syl Glyde.
Wow, I did not think Sil-Glyde was even made anymore. Here's my very old tube.

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Lithium is what you use for extremely low temps(or that is what my understanding always was, I seem to remember reading thats what they use in outer space) not sure how it got to be so popular for other applications....for solid linkages I use wheel bearing grease.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks folks, went with the bearing grease. Never heard of Sil Glyde, but looks interesting, may have to check it out for some other uses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts