Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing the motor, transmission, clutch linkage, springs, etc. I went to press down on the pedal and it goes to the floor fine. In fact, it seems like it is "assisted" to go to the floor with the large spring on the pedal support above it. What does NOT happen is the pedal returning to its position.

I have what I believe to be all the correct springs in place: 1) The large 1" diameter one mounted internally on the pedal support, 2) The long spring which attaches to the front tang of the clutch release lever and the forward point in the frame underneath the motor mount, 3) The little spring which attaches to the underneath tab on the firewall and the upper arm of the clutch equalizer bar.

Everything seemed to go together fine, the pivot point of the z-bar rotated fine with no binding. The only thing I can think is the pressure plate is the original unit and I did not replace this item. Perhaps the springs inside it are really frozen and therefore not returning enough pressure to the clutch pivot arm.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sounds like you need to adjust the clutch...It has no prussure of the arm yet, so the springs push the pedal to the floor....

·
Registered
330 Posts
I agree, it sounds like the clutch just needs adjusted.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Adjust your clutch. The internal spring, sometimes referred to as the "over-the-top" spring, does double duty; it assists you in pulling the pedal down for the last two inches of travel and also helps pull it back up once the clutch itself pushes it up past the initial two inches.

This means that you have to adjust the clutch so that it will push the clutch pedal back more than two inches on release.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I assume you have an original long style pressure plate (three finger type). If you have a diaphragm pressure plate installed, the problem could be related to the overcenter spring tension being too great. The overcenter spring on the top of the clutch pedal is sized for long style pressure plates not diaphragm type. If you have the long style installed, try this: remove the lower spring. Pull the pedal full up. Remove the lower link from the fork. Grab the fork with your hand and move it forward, then aft. Get a feel for how much movement there is between the throwout bearing touching the pressure plate (fork pressed aft) and the throwout bearing hitting the back of the tranny collar (fork pressed forward). This should be a small movement, perhaps 1/4" with a new clutch and pressure plate. When the clutch is adjusted, you want the throwout bearing to float within the limits of these extremes. Okay, attach the lower pushrod but do not attach the lower spring. Adjust the lower rod so it just fits in the space between the lower z-bar arm and the fork. With it properly adjusted the fork should be at the position where the throwout bearing floats in the center area between the pressure plate and the tranny input shaft collar. Basically at this point, the lower rod will not fall out of the fork but will rattle a bit when moved forward/aft. When you're satisfied you're in the sweet spot, connect the lower spring. This spring will pull the fork so the throwout bearing rests against the tranny input shaft collar. Test your clutch. Does it now work? It should!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts