Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking up a poll: Go with it or without it?

I know people say it isn't needed with the diaphragm clutches, but I had mine on and installed the clutch pedal support already. Easy enough to pull it out since I have the steering column out. Should keep it or pull it? how does it change the pedal feel?

Engine is going in Sunday so I want this set before then. This thing has already taken two chunks out of my hand when it flew off ( user error so I can't blame the spring), but I will attempt to remove it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
If you’re talking about the big spring on the pedal support, removing the pedal stop first and allowing the pedal to move past the stop allows the spring to come out easily and safely.

I don’t know what not using the spring will do so I can’t really answer your question.

I’ll say this in favor of keeping it though. I just finished rebuilding my entire clutch linkage including the pedal support and pedal shaft. On the pedal support specifically, I went with a roller bearing kit and spring insulators on the spring. I can’t believe how much smoother, tighter and quiet it makes the clutch linkage. I personally like having the spring in it and I’m running a Spec 1 diaphragm clutch in my 66. No more squeaking clutch pedal.

·
Premium Member
12,065 Posts
It is actually an "assist" spring, not a "return" spring. It helps the driver press the clutch pedal when using a Long style pressure plate. Some diaphragm pressure plate users have reported that the assist spring would not allow the clutch pedal to return after pressing it. I am using a Centerforce diaphragm pressure plate and I removed the assist spring.
As I recall there is something you can do with the spring installed to easily remove it. There is actually a position in the range of clutch pedal travel where the spring is "loose". Maybe as erials posted you have to remove the pedal stop to reach that point.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,303 Posts
When the pedal is up the spring is at its loosest. Iirc the spring has a mount that is held on with 3 bolts. Pull two of the bolts and slowly release the last one allowing the bracket to pivot and the spring to come off.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Taking up a poll: Go with it or without it?

I know people say it isn't needed with the diaphragm clutches, but I had mine on and installed the clutch pedal support already. Easy enough to pull it out since I have the steering column out. Should keep it or pull it? how does it change the pedal feel?

Engine is going in Sunday so I want this set before then. This thing has already taken two chunks out of my hand when it flew off ( user error so I can't blame the spring), but I will attempt to remove it.
Before you die, read this link. It is dead easy to remove or install the assist spring with absolutely no risk whatsoever.

Assist Spring

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before you die, read this link. It is dead easy to remove or install the assist spring with absolutely no risk whatsoever.

Assist Spring
It installed easily enough. I was planning on removing the stop and letting the clutch move back so the spring falls off. My stupidity was when I had the clutch pedal out , but put together, I pushed the clutch pedal in to see how it moves and the pedal snapped forward and the spring flew back and sliced open my thumb and finger. Stupid, I know.

From what I've read around here, I think the consensus is you don't need it. I am running a modern diaphragm clutch so I will probably remove it unless there is a strong reason to keep it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I removed the assist spring while I switched to a diaphragm clutch. Follow the description posted by @22GT This spring is STRONG!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts