Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the last month converting my '65 200 I6 with a 2.77 trans to a '67 200 I6 with a 3.03 trans, and I'm down to my final problem. I'm dying to get this baby running, so I hope somebody can help me.

I don't know how to hook up the clutch return mechanism!

The bell housing on my '65 had a place to attach a little bracket that you could attach a spring to connect with the clutch fork. My current bell housing ('67) has no such place to attach a bracket. Further, that spring alone cannot possibly provide enough force to return the clutch after it has been pressed. Every diagram I look at shows another spring that attaches to the upper side of the equalizer bar that presumably does the trick. Well, I'm almost certain there wasn't one there on my '65 setup when I took it apart and I absolutely see no place to attach it now (on either side - equalizer bar or firewall). But, I still can't imagine that spring would provide enough force to return the pedal. From the drivers side, I can move that pedal back and forth with just my pinky, but from the engine side, it takes an awful lot of force to return the pedal. So, how does this work? What do I need to finish?

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
On 67's there is a big spring on the pedal support bracket that is the pedal return. The spring attaches to the pedal, and then goes to a sort of triangular shaped piece with a notch in it that is bolted to the pedal support right by where it contacts the steering column. There are three bolts holding this relatively small bracket in place. I don't know if you could use the bracket or not in a 66. Seems to me you could get the 67 pedal, the spring and the triangular piece and fab a connection point on your existing pedal support.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I'm confused. I thought that spring was the "assist" spring. It helps you push the pedal to the floor. I already have one of those in place and it's doing a great job. What I need is to get the pedal back up. Are there TWO springs inside the car for a '67? Or, do I take my old spring off and replace with one somewhere else?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
330 Posts
The big spring under the dash is the return spring for the pedal. It expands as you push the pedal to the floor therefore pulling the pedal back up as you release. On my 65 the small under car spring pulls the clutch fork just enough to keep the T/O bearing from rubbing. I have seen this spring attached off of the bell housing as well as one attached to the firewall on different models. I am pretty sure it holds the tension so that the push rod on the clutch fork stays tight.Just my .02's worth.

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
The "assist" spring, as you call it, does two jobs.

When you push the pedal to the floor you will find that at about two inches from the floor the pressure gets lighter. This is because the "assist" spring is helping pull the pedal down the last two inches. Above the last two inches the "assist" spring does the opposite; it helps the pedal return to top.

This "assist" spring is also called the "over the top" spring.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
There's two springs on my '65:

Overcenter clutch pedal spring. This under dash spring (powerful spring) assists with keeping the pedal up against the clutch bumper (full up) and also with reducing pedal effort when the clutch is depressed and the spring attachment goes over center. Note that without any clutch installed, the pedal will stay full up, or full down (but not in between).

Fork Return Spring. The fork return spring connects between the end of the fork and a point forward on the car chassis. During my T5 installation I made a small metal "L" bracket with two holes in it, one 3/8" hole and a small hole for the end of the spring. The 3/8" hole fits over one of the motor mount frame bracket bolts. This leaves the small hole to loop the end of the spring through. I use the stock spring used with the Toploader 4 speed.

After releasing the clutch pedal, pressure plate spring pressure returns the clutch pedal to the up position. Once the pedal goes over center up, the spring under the dash assists with bringing the pedal full up. Once full up, the spring below causes the throwout bearing to unload from the pressure plate. Note: fork is clipped to the throwout bearing so pulling the fork back also pulls the throwout bearing back.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info. I have now learned a ton about the duality of the "over the top" or "over center" spring. It appears as though that spring is working just fine. My problem is clearly with the one that I'll have to attach to the fork. It looks like I'll have to create some new bracket to attach a spring there. I suppose where I attach that bracket will determine the size and strength of the spring. Does anybody have any specifics on this? Pictures perhaps?

Again though... It seems like it takes an enormous force to return the pedal when pulling from the location it is suggested that I attach a spring. Is something wrong with my setup?

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts