Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my sons '66 Coupe, the clutch linkage had been converted to a cable. There were no springs on either the clutch pedal or the clutch fork. I ordered a spring from Mustangs Unlimited for the pedal and what I got was a very strong spring. A spring so strong it can't be opened by hand. I checked what was in my '66 Fastback and found a spring about the same length, but not nearly as strong as this spring.

So, can someone tell me what size spring should be there.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
The spring on the pedal assembly is a very strong spring. It is the "over the top" spring and is not what you are looking for. It's purpose is to help both hold the pedal down for the last two inches of movement and help return the pedal to top.

Are you having a problem with the pedal not returning? It is possible that the over-the-top spring will help with this, but it is also possible that it will cause the pedal to hang about two inches from the floor.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When we first got the car, the clutch release bearing made lots of noise. When I found there was no spring on the clutch fork or the pedal, I assumed I needed to add these.

Does the cable operated clutch not need the springs?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
I think you need the lightweight spring on the clutch fork to keep the throwout bearing from riding on the clutch itself.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Midlife,

What is the correct location to hook the other side of the clutch fork spring to? Everything I try to hook up to seems to either be in the way of the pitman arm or rubbing on the try-y's.

Thanks,
Darrell

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
It runs forward, and hooks into a hole on the frame, IIRC. Any convenient spot that doesn't interfere and applies pressure on the fork will do.

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
If you are running a diaphram clutch then they actually like to have a light pre-load on the throw-out bearing. I was shocked when I was told this too, but have since confirmed it with reputable sources.

I have no return spring on my hydraulic setup either, other than the over-the-top spring on the pedal.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
The large pedal spring is not necessary, but I have found it useful. It helps the leg when sitting in traffic and holds the pedal up so that the weight of the pedal (minimal) is not on the thrust bearing.

By removing the stop that is used to adjust the clutch pedal height, you can pull the pedal up and the spring can be easily installed.

I do not have a spring on the clutch cable itself and it seems to work fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts