Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have finally got all welding and interior painting done on my '68 mustang coupe. I put the pedals back in and replaced all the bushings and clips. I am having problems getting the spring into place from the clutch pedal to the dash mount---is there a tool or a special technique in getting this spring on without breaking the plastic retainer clip where the spring meets the clutch pedal??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike
'68 289 Mustang Coupe
'00 Chevy Silverado

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
A little care and some silicon grease will make it go the best it can.
You have removed the clutch pedal stop that bolts to the pedal support, didn't you? It is nearly impossible to install without doing that.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12409371&p=45514468.jpg

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Mr. Leslie, unfortunately the '67/'68s don't have the un-boltable clutch pedal stops like the '65/'66s has. I seem to recall from the old forum that the general consesus was to leave it off since no one had a way of getting the bugger back on.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Nearly impossible...I tried and tried before I knew about removing the stop. It IS impossible.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
673 Posts
I installed my clutch spring last week, and I thought it was quite simple. Of course, I had the entire bracket assembly out of the car, so I could fold the clutch pedal all the way back (when the braket is still in the car, the pedal can't be folded back because the fire wall is in the way)

I'm guessing that's how they did it from the factory. The entire clutch pedal/brake pedal and brack with spring and clips were probably put together and installed as one piece. Then the bracket was slipped under the dash, bolted to the firewall, etc, and the clutch pedal rod and power brake booster rod were connected.

It's quite simple if the steering column and pedal bracket are out of the car. Just take a bit of muscling of the spring.

Thespazardman

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Unhook the clutch linkage and put the pedal all the way on the floor.... Take out the instrument cluster and fashon a loop from an old coat hanger, loop one end around the spring, on the other end stick a tire tool or breaker bar through the loop.... Thru the instrument panel "hole", strech the spring
while a buddy hooks the spring in the bracket.

If you've got a diaphragm pressure plate, forget the spring!

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
View Album Here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1616948&a=12352157

1 - 7 of 7 Posts