Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i bought my car a few weeks ago and been driving it since. The only thing is the clutch pedal seemed a little tight so i looked under the dash and noticed the spring on the clutch pedal was missing so was the bracket for the spring. well they just happened to be in the glove box. i am having trouble installing it and wanted to know if there was any way to install it with out removing the pedal assembly. also what is the function of this spring? and will it screw up my clutch or trans if i keep driving it like it is with out the spring. any comments would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
During my recent T5 swap, I discovered my assist spring was missing. I never knew. Mine is the only stick shift car I've ever driven and I've driven it for years. I'd love to drive another stock manual Mustang to see what I've been missing.

Frank

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
General note and maybe not the case with your car. IF you install or have a Centerforce clutch, different design that doesn't require a "pedal assist" spring under dash. Their instructions tell you to remove under dash spring. That is whats on my '67. However I do still have the other two springs, one at firewall to equalizer bar & 2nd one equalizer to clutch fork.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I removed my under-dash helper spring when I went from a 3 finger to a diaphragm clutch. It wasn't needed. Yes, I'm curious also for that firewall/zbar spring photo.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
For my '67 it got a light blue color spring sold thru some vendors. This upper Z bar spring is often missing as is the sorta "L" shaped brkt it's mounted to. Brkt mounts on same two studs coming thru firewall which is from your E brake assembly. Brkt has hole to hook spring, other end of spring hooks onto either hole or notch on top of Z bar. That brkt is reproduce I believe now.
For 66 spring... Search

Attachments

·
Registered
35,836 Posts
This upper Z bar spring is often missing as is the sorta "L" shaped brkt it's mounted to. Brkt mounts on same two studs coming thru firewall which is from your E brake assembly. Brkt has hole to hook spring, other end of spring hooks onto either hole or notch on top of Z bar. That brkt is reproduce I believe now.
Quite right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts