Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I dropped in an 88 302/T5 and get welded the brake cable plate to my new clutch pedal so the cable works. Installed an adjuster at the firewall and adjusted it so the clutch engages about half way down. The only problem is when I push the clutch to the floor, the pedal stays on the floor until I give it some help. I think the travel is going to far and the spring is actually trying to pull it back around. Anyone come across this before and how to fix it? The return spring is new.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Is this a stock clutch pedal? I have a stock pedal & z-bar arrangement in my 65 6 cylinder T-5 conversion. I had trouble with the pedal over-traveling and then getting sucked to the floor. For me I just needed something to limit travel. I threaded the upper rod all the way down and used a couple of nuts and a plywood plug from an appropriately sized hole saw cut-off. This gave we a way to have an adjustable travel limiter for the pedal. I don't know how this could be adapted to a cable system, but point is over-travel will cause the pedal to get sucked to the floor.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ Yep. The new pressure plate is probably the diaphragm type. The clutch assist spring under the dash actually helps pull the clutch pedal DOWN to assist.
I don't have the z-bar setup or clutch assist spring. The only spring I have is the large return spring. When I installed the spring and pulled the pedal counter-clockwise to set the pedal, I had a thought that pushing the pedal to far would have the pedal try to come back around.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It's not just a return spring, it becomes an assist spring when it reached a "tipping point" in it's travel. Just remove it, others have had the same issue.

Same goes for you Oldpaint, might want to think about ditching the plywood as this isn't a case of "overtravel" the pedal is operating just as it should before your "fix".

·
Registered
601 Posts
For me I just needed something to limit travel.
Another solution if the bearing moves "to much", is to change the ratio between the pedal and the throw out bearing. It will give you an easier pushed down pedal with less sensitivety at the point were the clutch starts to grab.

·
Registered
33,550 Posts
The actual clutch pedal return spring was attached between the "Z" bar and the firewall. Since you don't have a "Z" bar set-up any longer you don't have a return spring. The one under the dash will hold the clutch pedal up until it travels a couple inches then it'll help it go DOWN. If you are happy with the pedal pressure currently needed to disengage the clutch then maybe you should consider adding a return spring to the clutch release fork.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The actual clutch pedal return spring was attached between the "Z" bar and the firewall. Since you don't have a "Z" bar set-up any longer you don't have a return spring. The one under the dash will hold the clutch pedal up until it travels a couple inches then it'll help it go DOWN. If you are happy with the pedal pressure currently needed to disengage the clutch then maybe you should consider adding a return spring to the clutch release fork.
Woodchuck, I've never seen any reference of a spring from the z-bar to the firewall. My 65 has a long one from the lower z-bar to the shock tower.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Woodchuck, I've never seen any reference of a spring from the z-bar to the firewall. My 65 has a long one from the lower z-bar to the shock tower.
My 68 has a spring from a bracket on the firewall to the top of the Z-bar. It's in all the diagrams.
The really big spring under the dash connected to the top of the clutch pedal is an "assist" spring that, as noted, actually helps hold the pedal down once the pedal is depressed about half-way. This is the one to remove.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
My 68 has a spring from a bracket on the firewall to the top of the Z-bar. It's in all the diagrams.
The really big spring under the dash connected to the top of the clutch pedal is an "assist" spring that, as noted, actually helps hold the pedal down once the pedal is depressed about half-way. This is the one to remove.
My 67 has one to the firewall also.

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
That's the "late" '65 spring. The earlier cars had a spring from the z-bar to the firewall.

·
Registered
413 Posts
289GT, That spring isn't in my 1965 shop manual, it's a 66 detail, that's probably why I hadn't seen it before, but thanks. I was considering something like that before I came up with my pedal stop. It seems to work well but if I change my mind after some miles, maybe I'll go that way.

BTW a correction, my spring actually goes from the clutch throw out arm to the shock tower.

Gregg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts