Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove the clutch pilot bushing from the back of the crank of a 289? Is there a special tool for this? I removed a 3 speed tranny for a C4 and it didnt line up to the crank. This bushing is in the way and I dont want to reove the engine and dismantle it to remove this bushing. Any help is appreciated. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
fill the pilot cavity with grease and then find yourself a bolt or rod that fits snugly in the pilot hole and give it a rap with a hammer,it may take a few shots but it will work. The hydraulic action of the grease being pushed in will drive the bushing out... This technique is based on the first rule of hydraulics: A fluid cannot be compressed.... When pressure is applied to a fluid it flows equally in all directions ..

You should have on some eye protection too.. never know where that grease will squirt.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Or, if it's REALLY stuck, you can "borrow" a pilot bushing removal tool from Autozone. You leave a deposit, but get it back - use of the tool is free.

G

·
Another hint is to take a 1/4 inch bit and drill across the flat side of the "face" of it and then when enough brass has been removed,,drive a small chisel in from the side of the crank where it meets the bushing collapsing it,,then it will almost fall right out. Less messy this way too.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I think the hydraulic trick is the safest, quickest, and cleanest. You can use a 1/2" socket extension, and wrap electrical tape to make it snug. As the bushing moves out, pull the extension and add grease, or you will be banging on the crankshaft, which can be bad for the bearings (or so I am told).

Carl

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Or, if it's REALLY stuck, you can "borrow" a pilot bushing removal tool from Autozone. You leave a deposit, but get it back - use of the tool is free.
I tried the grease and dowel trick, but, apparently, I wasn't doing it right, because I just made a big greasy mess. I went to AutoZone and borrowed the tool. I had the bushing out in 30 seconds. ::

1 - 8 of 8 Posts