Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing to reinstall the toploader and bellhousing back to the engine. All of which will finally be replaced back into the engine compartment as soon as possible.

One thing I noticed as I was preparing the final details on each of these components was the fulcrum point inside the bellhousing where the clutch pivot arm rocks back and forth. I had purchased a new throwout bearing and rubber dust cover boot and as I positioned everything together it appears the arm does not register properly against this inner bracket. It is the same bracket and pivot arm from my original car so I dont have the case of a badly produced repro.

Is there supposed to be a spring, interim connector of some sort which keeps the arm attached to or registered against the pivot point of the bracket? I can rest them against each other but they move up and down and the little tangs on the bracket don't rest in the little holes on the side of the clutch arm.

What am I missing here?

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Yes, should be a small wire spring on the fork that attaches to the pivot. Retains the fork to the pivot.*

Later models have a spring clip made onto the fork that snaps into place on the pivot.

*(Assuming you're working on the 66 as mentioned in your profile.)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AHHHHHH...yes, that must be it!

I noticed in my service manual what looked like a little spring wire sticking out of the hole but there was not only specifically identified. I looked in my NPD catalog and did not see one listed there either.

Does anyone know where to find/buy this spring?

Yes, this is for my 66 289/3spd....

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The clutch fork hairspring does not retain the fork. It serves to prevent the fork from rattling when the throwout bearing is disengaged. If its not installed, and the clutch is properly adjusted, the only bad effect is having to listen to a noisy rattle each time you hit a bump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts