Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to install a new clutch release bearing before reinstalling my engine and I see some have a grease fitting on them. What does that apply grease, the bearing race or transmission input sleeve? How would you ever access the grease fitting after installation anyway? Another question, do I need to apply a thin film of grease to the transmission input shaft? Would you go with a National or SKF bearing? I've replaced this bearing before and found the new one was defective while the old one was fine. I do not want to go through that again.

·
Premium Member
12,011 Posts
The bearings with a grease fitting are used to lube the bearing rollers in specific installations where the TOB is in continuous contact with the pressure plate release fingers. Mustang TOBs are supposed to have some freeplay so that they are not in continuous contact. You would need a bellhousing with an access plate to get a grease gun connected.

You can apply a very light coating of grease to the splines on the input shaft so that the clutch disc slides easily on the splines. Do not apply any grease to the transmission bearing retainer snout where the TOB slides. Any dirt or clutch lining material will stick to the grease and create problems. Something dry like graphite may be OK.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
I’m in the camp with using a very light coating of grease on the Bearing Retainer of the transmission. So light that it’s a “hint” of grease and certainty not an amount that would migrate.

I don’t care for release bearings with grease fittings. Those will just get you in trouble.

National/Moog release bearings are all made in China...... so unless it’s in an old BCA or National box, I’d stay away.

Just bought an Aetna for my old truck...... they were an OE supplier to Ford back in the day. Good luck in your search; trying to find good quality TO’s is tough.

Reactions: DustyB

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Agree with the light grease coating on the bearing retainer snout. In fact, I think the TOB has a recess on its
inner diameter for grease.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree with the light grease coating on the bearing retainer snout. In fact, I think the TOB has a recess on its
inner diameter for grease.
Yes, there is a groove to fill with grease...or that is what I was taught it was for.

·
Registered
35,847 Posts
Not a big fan of greasable TOB's, but it's there to lube the rollers. You can pull the zerk and screw on an extension hose with a zerk on the end and run it out the clutch fork dust boot. As far as the input shaft goes, I use dry graphite... any grease you put on there will act as flypaper for the friction material that is ground off the clutch disc and the metal filings from the cover and flywheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts