Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I posted the below the other day, and I got a responce from Veronica (thanks Veronica :) ) suggesting that it could possibly be caused by one of the three 'fingers' having a pin loose. Or ,it could be that the throw-out bearing has detached itself from the clutch fork. Does anyone have anything to add to this? Also, I did a search, but I coundn't find any write-ups on how to replace the clutch. Anybody know where I can find one?
Thanks for the help!

First of all my car is a 1965 with a 289 4V and a 3 speed manual transmision. Nothing has been done to the car recently.

That being said, I was driving home tonight, and my car started jerking forward. It's rather hard to explain just what it was doing, but it kind of felt like I was bliping the throtle. Listening to the engine though, I could hear that it wasn't surging.
One thing I did notice was that when I pushed down on the clutch, the jerking sensation went away. I also noticed that it was happening at all speeds, and in all gears.
Here's what I've come up with so far:
- The engine seems to be running fine, so I can rule that out as a possible cause.
- When I push the clutch in, the problem goes away, so I can rule out any problems with the wheels, suspension, rear end etc.
- The only thing that leaves me with is the transmission. I've had a clutch go out on a different car before, but it didn't feel like this. When the clutch went out in my other car, it just started sliping more and more until one day it was completely gone. There was no jerking sensation that I can remember.
Any ideas?"

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim,
Unfortunately all I have is a Haynes manual, and it's limited instructions aren't instilling a lot of confidence in me. Any documentation that you could give me would be greatly appreciated! My email is [email protected]
Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts