Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get the return spring back on the pedal upper pedal bracket up inside the car above the dash? the one that mounts on the clutch pedal to the front of the bracket?
any help would be appreciated.This is on a 67 Cougar. thanks Bob

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you are talking about the stiff spring inside the dash, it's more of a pedal assist spring. I tried getting mine back on but I couldn't. Instead I went to home depot and bought a similar spring but a little less stiff that I could get on.

·
Registered
673 Posts
It's MUCH easier if you remove the pedal bracket from the car first. This is relatively simple if you have manual brakes, but a bit more complex if you have power brakes. Once the bracket is out, you install the clutch pedal, rotate it all the way back, and the spring slips on. Then you just pull the clutch pedal forward, engaging the spring, reinstall the bracket, and you're done!

Thespazardman

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I did mine using an offset (z) wrench as the pry bar. Yanked the cluster, slipped the spring hook on the wrench handle (bend in handle towards fire wall), put the box on the pedal support hook and pulled.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Put one end of the clutch pedal return spring in a vise bend it to the side and put a washer in bend it the other way and put another washer in and so on, until it will fit in the car. Then you can push on the clutch pedal and all the washers will fall out, spring is installed. Give this a try and let me know if it works. I need to do mine also /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
David, this method does work, Ive done it this way a dozen times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts