Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparation for putting in a motor I just built and a T5, I pulled the 302 and SROD toploader out of my '65 this weekend. I had the SROD tranny out a couple of months ago to seal it up and put in a new clutch. That clutch worked fine, but it always made some odd noises, like grinding a little as I pushed in the clutch pedal.

Now that I have it out, I gave the clutch stuff a quick once-over and was surprised by a couple of things. First, the clutch disc had some odd wear patterns on a couple of the pads and second, the wear on the throw out bearing. Keep in mind this clutch had maybe 700 miles on it. Here are a couple of pics of what I am talking about. Is this normal wear? If not, what could be causing it?

Thanks - Farrell

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? This stuff is so new I hate to buy it all over again. Is this normal? Do I have the preload set wrong?

Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
Can't tell you what caused that, you shouldn't have any preload on the pressure plate, the fork should pull the release bearing clear. I assume thats a standard bearing isn't it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't tell you what caused that, you shouldn't have any preload on the pressure plate, the fork should pull the release bearing clear. I assume thats a standard bearing isn't it?
what do you mean by 'standard'?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a diaphragm style clutch or long style (3 finger) clutch?

Assuming that the strange wear pattern is on the pressure plate side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it is a diaphragm clutch and yes, the wear is on the pressure pate side.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Are the disc and pressure plate from the same company or kit, or did you mix and match? What does the pressure plate and flywheel look like? I can’t tell well enough from the picture but is the edge where the discoloring is located at an angle or beveled, or is that just the lighting? I think the pucks may not be the same all the way through, maybe a base of metal coated with that sintered iron or whatever it is and you may just have worn through in those spots. What make? I might give that company a call.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are the disc and pressure plate from the same company or kit, or did you mix and match? What does the pressure plate and flywheel look like? I can’t tell well enough from the picture but is the edge where the discoloring is located at an angle or beveled, or is that just the lighting? I think the pucks may not be the same all the way through, maybe a base of metal coated with that sintered iron or whatever it is and you may just have worn through in those spots. What make? I might give that company a call.
I bought the disc and pressure plate from a local VMF member. They were new, but I am not sure i could say if they came together as a kit or he mix/matched them. Here are pics of the pressure plate and flywheel.

The wear you are seeing does look beveled in the pics, but to my eye they are completely flat.

I am likely going to buy a new clutch, but want to make sure the issues I see here are not from something I did before bolting in all new stuff.

Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Those parts look normal to me and in decent shape wear wise, although why are those 3 holes in the pressure plate that have the discoloring around them? One looks like some kind of plug? In the metal or repair of sorts. I’d say it just wore through the friction material on the pucks, maybe not the highest quality piece, I’d replace the disc and plate with something like RAM or McLeod if you can, and maybe even the flywheel depending on what those odd spots are.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those parts look normal to me and in decent shape wear wise, although why are those 3 holes in the pressure plate that have the discoloring around them? One looks like some kind of plug? In the metal or repair of sorts. I’d say it just wore through the friction material on the pucks, maybe not the highest quality piece, I’d replace the disc and plate with something like RAM or McLeod if you can, and maybe even the flywheel depending on what those odd spots are.
holes in the pressure plate? Not sure I follow. Do you mean flywheel?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Depending on your tolerance for replacing it, i would likely slap it back in and run it if it worked fine before, but I’m pretty cheap. I would want to know how deep that ridge on the throwup bearing is, if it can be easily felt with a fingernail, I would suspect too much preload on the clutch pedal. Never said if it is hydraulic or not.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The disk looks like a racing disc, not great for street. Flywheel patched holes look very funky. Have a machine shop inspect it and balance it with the pressure plate bolted up, unless they suggest getting a new flywheel. I would get a new street disc for sure, unless you are drag racing hard core.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Those marks look like they're running to the outside from the center rather than in the direction the pressure plate turns. Is there anything else showing abnormal wear?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Depending on your tolerance for replacing it, i would likely slap it back in and run it if it worked fine before, but I’m pretty cheap. I would want to know how deep that ridge on the throwup bearing is, if it can be easily felt with a fingernail, I would suspect too much preload on the clutch pedal. Never said if it is hydraulic or not.
Worked just fine, just made a little grinding noise when first pressing the clutch pedal. The ridge on the throw out bearing is more of a wear mark - I cant feel it with my finger nail

Those marks look like they're running to the outside from the center rather than in the direction the pressure plate turns. Is there anything else showing abnormal wear?
Everything else looks quite normal to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts