Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this setup part of the over the counter "cobra dress-up kit" available in the 60's for the mustang?

Is this the real deal?
Would this add significant performance to a stock 289 4v?
What is something like this worth?

I have been looking at it and thought it might be fun to put on the 65' vert that I am restoring.

Thanks all.

Eric

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
IMHO waaayy too much carb(s) for a 289. Most street cars run 450-600 cfm. Even for a really hot race 289, 1000 cfm total would be overcarbing - and that ultimately really hurts performance.

Looks neat, though. Dickson

·
Registered
10,453 Posts
That one looks like the real deal (not a repro) although I don't know about the carbs though

They were available over the counter as part cobra items available then.

I agree, way to much carb for the street but what a "wow" factor /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. A 3 deuces would have better overall performance.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Seems like alot of carb, I have an edelbrock cross ram for a 289/302. I was told that 2 450 cfm carbs would work, but it would have to be one hot motor. Guess I need to put it on Ehay if it would sell for that much. The guy I got it from has a Weber fuel injection setup for the same motor. Very cool, but very expensive.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Cant speak on any of your questions, just had to say -

You're gonna visit a gas station more often than a drunkard to a liquor shop, sheesh!

·
Registered
553 Posts
yeah, you know what they say... "that car will pass anything on the street, except a gas station" /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Will it make your car faster? Very doubtful.
Will it make your car use more gas? No, crusing, you are only using one carburetor.

What is the advantage? Eye candy! Every time you open the hood, it'll draw a crowd!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts