Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally getting to the end of my 65 convertible project and am very much looking forward to start on my 65 fastback project.

Currently, the fastback is an all stock 289 'survivor' car that is used for occasional cruising but I have big plans for the car including a 4.6 4v swap. I have a complete 1997 Cobra that will be my donor car (the body and interior are BEAT but mechanically it is great). The engine and the transmission from the Cobra will be installed into the 65 using a TCI "Modular Custom IFS" package (or at least that is my current plan). The Cobra currently has longtube headers, will I be able to use these with the TCI setup or will I need to find a pair of shorty style headers? Are there any build out there with 4v motors and headers?

I would like to swap the factory Cobra hubs and brakes (with hydroboost) onto the fastback but I'm not familiar enough with the TCI spindles and suspension to figure out if this is possible or not. Could the TCI kit be ordered without brakes? Any help is much appreciated!

·
Vendor
461 Posts
I am finally getting to the end of my 65 convertible project and am very much looking forward to start on my 65 fastback project.

Currently, the fastback is an all stock 289 'survivor' car that is used for occasional cruising but I have big plans for the car including a 4.6 4v swap. I have a complete 1997 Cobra that will be my donor car (the body and interior are BEAT but mechanically it is great). The engine and the transmission from the Cobra will be installed into the 65 using a TCI "Modular Custom IFS" package (or at least that is my current plan). The Cobra currently has longtube headers, will I be able to use these with the TCI setup or will I need to find a pair of shorty style headers? Are there any build out there with 4v motors and headers?

I would like to swap the factory Cobra hubs and brakes (with hydroboost) onto the fastback but I'm not familiar enough with the TCI spindles and suspension to figure out if this is possible or not. Could the TCI kit be ordered without brakes? Any help is much appreciated!

I just replied to your PM Mike.

The Custom IFS uses a custom spindle so the likelihood of that brake package working is slim to none. The pin itself is based on a '75-'80 Granada but the rest of the spindle doesn't mimic anything OEM. At the very least the caliper bracket would have to be custom made.

-J

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just replied to your PM Mike.

The Custom IFS uses a custom spindle so the likelihood of that brake package working is slim to none. The pin itself is based on a '75-'80 Granada but the rest of the spindle doesn't mimic anything OEM. At the very least the caliper bracket would have to be custom made.

-J
I appreciate the response. I will spend some time researching how to mount the Cobra hub to a Granada spindle. Fabricating a caliper bracket is a possibility.

Any guidance on whether or not I can use the longtubes that are on the Cobra?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Moving PM conversation to this thread (unless there are objections). In general, I think the more public conversation available on the web the better it is for the whole community as may answer someone else's questions too.

TCI Engineering said:
The Modular requires a special modified cross member to work with our Custom IFS. The oil pan will not clear the regular cross member.

The kit is available with or without brakes. You will need to make your own caliper bracket to make it work. You will also need an adapte to mount that rotor onto our spindle pin which is based on a '75-'80 Granada.

The 12" Wilwood upgrade is an excellent choice for the price. We have done a ton of testing with those kits even on vehicles weighing north of 3500 lbs. They not only stop extremely well but they are very durable.

-J
The Wilwood pieces are quite capable, they have an excellent reputation for quality and performance and I'm sure they make for excellent pieces in the kit. I would like to keep the Cobra pieces in keeping with the 'theme' of the car if at all possible.

But,. In the event that I am unable to swap the Cobra parts onto your kit,.. Have you had anyone use the hydroboost system with the Wilwood pieces? What brake master cylinder do you recommend with the Wilwoods?

·
Vendor
461 Posts
Moving PM conversation to this thread (unless there are objections). In general, I think the more public conversation available on the web the better it is for the whole community as may answer someone else's questions too.

The Wilwood pieces are quite capable, they have an excellent reputation for quality and performance and I'm sure they make for excellent pieces in the kit. I would like to keep the Cobra pieces in keeping with the 'theme' of the car if at all possible.

But,. In the event that I am unable to swap the Cobra parts onto your kit,.. Have you had anyone use the hydroboost system with the Wilwood pieces? What brake master cylinder do you recommend with the Wilwoods?

I really can't confirm or deny if the headers will fit. We have had good luck running headers designed for the Fox body with our kits regardless of engine.

Doug's has just finished making a Coyote/TCI specific header and they already have a line on another car with a Terminator/TCI to make those as well.

Here is a pic of the prototype.

I would stick with a 7/8" master with a hydroboost & Wilwood calipers at all four corners. As long as the Cobra calipers have similar piston size I'd use the same master.

-J

·
Registered
97 Posts
In to watch the build. I had a hell of a time finding headers for my 3v in the Falcon, but finally found some Doug Thorley's equal length shorties that look like they will flow well and fit like they were designed for my application. If anyone needs some JBA Stainless longtubes for a 3v 4.6 I can make you a killer deal.:crybaby:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used 03-04 cobra brakes front and rear on My 67 fastback when I put that together a few years ago. I got a kit that allowed me to use the stock drum spindles of a V-8 car (mine was a I-6 when I started) and I also swapped in a 8.8 rear. I know you are using different spindles but if I remember correctly (I could be wrong)the bearings I.D. are the same. You may possibly be able to use the same kit I did using the aftermarket spindles. The name of the company was Vintage Venom they are located in Pontiac Michigan. There parts are quality made pieces and I have no complaints about my set up. The car stops on a dime. I can get you pics if it is something your interested in or if you found something else let us know what you came up with.

James

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, after MUCH delay in trying to get the convertible completed, the end is NEAR! I am FINALLY going to start on this build. Been shopping the kits again and noticed the price has increased a bit, I might hold out a while for a sale as I'm in no hurry to get started. Still kind of back to where I started though, I'd still like to run the Cobra brakes. Is there any way I can get the dimensions of the spindles to see what I would be working with?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Im doing a similar swap but with a rod & custom kit. I'm using mustang 2 drop spindles. Mustang steve makes brackets that allows you to use the 13" cobra brakes on mustang 2 spindles(drop or standard). I just ordered the brackets today.

·
Vendor
461 Posts
Alright, after MUCH delay in trying to get the convertible completed, the end is NEAR! I am FINALLY going to start on this build. Been shopping the kits again and noticed the price has increased a bit, I might hold out a while for a sale as I'm in no hurry to get started. Still kind of back to where I started though, I'd still like to run the Cobra brakes. Is there any way I can get the dimensions of the spindles to see what I would be working with?
Hit up Tim @ Tim's Hot Rods. Tim's Hot Rods - www.timshotrods.com He's been known to make a deal or two. :thumbsup:

Im doing a similar swap but with a rod & custom kit. I'm using mustang 2 drop spindles. Mustang steve makes brackets that allows you to use the 13" cobra brakes on mustang 2 spindles(drop or standard). I just ordered the brackets today.
Those brackets won't work on our kit though because we don't use an MII spindle.

-J

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hit up Tim @ Tim's Hot Rods. Tim's Hot Rods - www.timshotrods.com He's been known to make a deal or two. :thumbsup:

Those brackets won't work on our kit though because we don't use an MII spindle.

-J
I'll reach out to Tim when I am ready, I don't want to bother him trying to cut a deal until I'm ready to pull the trigger. :) Shouldn't be too long now though.

On the spindles you use, can you give me ANY details about them? What bearings are used? Are they proprietary?

·
Vendor
461 Posts
I'll reach out to Tim when I am ready, I don't want to bother him trying to cut a deal until I'm ready to pull the trigger. :) Shouldn't be too long now though.

On the spindles you use, can you give me ANY details about them? What bearings are used? Are they proprietary?

The spindle pin itself will use '75-'80 Granada bearings and seals. So that way replacements and rotors are easy to find. The rest of the spindle is proprietary. We also made the steering arms removeable.

-J

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The spindle pin itself will use '75-'80 Granada bearings and seals. So that way replacements and rotors are easy to find. The rest of the spindle is proprietary. We also made the steering arms removeable.

-J
Ok, now we are getting somewhere. The Cobra stuff will fit on a Granada spindle. Can you tell me anything about how portion of the spindle where the caliper bolts to has been changed? Again, a drawing would be immensely helpful.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts