Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Quick question.....for the 60's 289 was there ever a Cobra Cam? I thought the Shelby's with the Cobra set-up's were based on Hi-Po block's (with the solid lifter hi-po cam) with Cobra products bolted on to the top end (carb and manifold).

What about the early AC Cobra's did they have a Cobra cam or were they based on the Hi-Po block as well?

The reason I ask is someone is telling me they have a Cobra Cam in there early 289 and he's either really cool or full of it.

Thanks, Greg.

·
Registered
21,329 Posts
Take it with a grain of salt. I've seen people honestly believe that their 2 barrel 302 is a BOSS 302 because it has a aftermarket intake and carb.

Most of the cams were just the regular 289 solid "K" cam. There were Cobra packages IIRC, that were little more then the carb, intake and cam for the "A" code to turn it into a faux "K". I think their was a hotter cam for racing that was offered. But basically, the cams for the most part were the K cams. Hopefully someone more knowlegable then mre will have better info on this.

If he has a "Cobra" cam, too bad for him. Remember this cam is using 35 year old cam design. Todays cams have come a long way and will blow the old cams away!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
There is the "Cobra LeMans" cam......

Wicked little solid lifter piece. 318/304 duraction, .510 lift IIRC. As was mentioned earlier, there are better "modern" profiles out there today, though.

There IS also a late-model 5.0 hydraulic roller "Cobra" cam.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Greg,
The references to a "cobra" cam in my experiences concerned the fact that the so called "cobra cam" had a different firing order. I have been told this was to get away from the 1,5, firing order where # 1 fired then #5, and so on. There was some concern about premature bearing wear on the 1-5 journal with one and five firing back to back. I do not recall the exact firing order of the cobra, but it was different than the stock 289 cam.I can look this info up if you are interested. I had a "cobra" cam in one of my 289's at one time.
jazzbo

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
If I am not mistaken the 289 Cobras did not have all the goodies that the GT350 had.

Ford did offer a "LeMans" cam for the 289 which was a hotter solid lifter cam, but I am not sure of the specifications.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts