Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy this oil pan for my 302 engine.
IMG_20200214_1806306.jpg Original owner bought it around 2001 or so , never used it .

Not sure of the make , but it was still wrapped in plastic , so I am sure that's a repro of some kind...

What's a good price to pay for this ?
IMG_20200214_1805462.jpg IMG_20200214_1806476.jpg

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I think they all come from Branda performance, (cobranda.com) regardless of who sells it.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I think they all come from Branda performance, (cobranda.com) regardless of who sells it.
Except that it NOT a repo of a Cobra pan, The bottom side is funky so just an approximation of a Cobra pan !!

Might even be a modified Cal Custom,Need some better pictures.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I think you’re right about it being made off a cal custom piece......can’t see that much on my phone, larger on a bigger screen definitely looks odd. And like a lot of work.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Well, its pretty neat....if it would fit and you could get it for 200......I would fill it up with water and let it sit overnight to see if it has any porous weep holes....ask me how I know this is important...tony branda pan or not !!!!

·
Registered
36,089 Posts
Except that it NOT a repo of a Cobra pan, The bottom side is funky so just an approximation of a Cobra pan !!

Might even be a modified Cal Custom,Need some better pictures.
I believe you are right. It looks like the "T" is a fabrication, welded on. Never saw an original with fins on the bottom of the rear part. Concealing the welds is probably why it is painted wrinkle black, which the originals never were.

Considering the cost of the exact repro @ $610, the one you show for $200 is a bargain. I have no idea who made it, I have never seen one like that, and cannot find any references.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
I agree with it being modified Cal Custom. That would have been a workout to fabricate. 8 out of 10 on welding alone.
$300 is probably pretty close to what it would take to change hands, but I'm not the seller obviously.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
I'd paint the inside with an epoxy paint or Glyptal to prevent leaks. Those cast aluminum pans were known to be porous and if it's been welded there may be leaks in the weld.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Yep, fabricated from something. Obviously not an original. If you like the looks go for it, but as others have said it may need to be sealed to prevent leaks. Too bad it does not appear to have any baffling like a Milodon or Canton T pan would have.

If the depth has been modified it may require a different pickup.

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Lat 70's early 80's there was a supertanker load of cheaply made Cobra Intakes, Valve Covers, Air cleaners and T pans.

Crude Sand cast, looked like they were done in someone's back yard, but they were cheap, and flooded Hemmings, etc.

That was the time you paid and hoped something showed up in the mail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts