Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering why is it that when a Cobra kit pulls up at a car show/cruise that people go nuts over it regardless of how "authentic" it looks? It can have a 302 or a 454 Chevy in it and people seem to accept it, but if someone pulls up in a Mustang that has been "Shebyized" in one form or another the response usually is "That's a fake", or "It's not real." Neither is the Cobra! I love the Cobra but the prices of real ones are out of most peoples reach so the kits are a nice way to go. Same for Shelby prices, most people can't afford them, so they do the next best thing. I don't mind the Shelby mods, I think they can really dress up a Mustang. As long as they don't try and pass it off as real I see no harm in it. I was just wanting to know what kind of responses clone owners(Shelby,Boss,Bullitt,Eleanor)hear at different events. I used to think it was the rarity of Cobra kits that drew people but you see quite a few on the road anymore.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I like the look of the Shelby clones, and I see that a lot of hard work goes into them. My feelings are that some people will have bad things to say about anything thats not theres.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I agree with you. The kit cars are very nice and some serious money has been spent on them by many people. I laike all types of cars and feel it's too bad that there were onyl so many of each made. I used to worry that the "standard" was being lowered with all the kits out there, but not anymore. if anything it's just pushed more money into the market and made the originals more valuable.

What drives me crazy is this statement "I have a Cobra, or...My Cobra"

When the statement should be "I have a Cobra replica"

Seriously,... I once saw a "Cobra replica" with CORVETTE wheels on it! UUUuuuggggly....! Chevy motor too....and the guy drove it proudly into a major FORD carshow! Duhh....!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you. But do clone owners catch a lot of flack from "purist" or are they generally accepted. Not only talking about complete clones but say just hood scoops or things like that. It seems that the restomod era has really opened the door for personalization of your car, which I believe is the key reason for wanting to own one anyway.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. None of us has exactly the same taste. The problem is mindset. Try this: when you see someone else's car look at it and judge only its cleanliness, condition and workmanship. Don't judge whether you like it or not! If your mindset changes after doing this for awhile, don't blame me!

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
I'm not sure that "clone" is even the the correct term. I've seen many "ads" that use the term "Clone" and the car doesn't even come close to the so called original. Just cause you have Lemans stripes or a couple of scoops doesn't make it a "clone". My car has been alterd from original, and yes I've spent many hours and lots of cash "MODIFYING" the car to my taste. Is that bad? Only if I try and pass it off as something it isn't....
But, I don't believe this cloning thing is just a Shelby/cobra (problem?) thing either.... all desirable cars have a following of these ......GTO, Z 28's, Trans Ams, Cuda's ..... you get my drift.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I run into this occasionally, I kind of laugh to myself when someone says something like that to me as my signage clearly states "RestomodClone" and anyone with any sense can tell with the setup I have in the car. I also figure most of these guys just can't read.

My car is pretty much over the top as far as modifictions go and I've spent years and lots of money to get it where it is currnetly, when they say something like its not real I usaually chime in I could have two of them or this car and I prefer this one.

The type who attends these shows and makes coments like its not real etc, just didn't get taught that if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. Of course when they leave the show and head back to there 1995 pontiac sunbird to make the drive home to the trailer park, I guess it all evens out.

·
Administrator
12,999 Posts
Isn't the worst when someone builds a Cobra and puts a Chevy engine in?? Just my 2 cents.
Stan

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe clone isn't the best term, we'll just call it restomod. I do agree that the Z/28/s and others are heavily copied. My neighbor has a '69 Camaro with a 350 and auto, but has the Z/28 stickers and stripes. Looks real nice and most people wouldn't know they didn't come with those options in '69, but the car draws lots of attention. I just think that if someone wants to put a Shelby hood and GT350 stripes on a coupe, they shouldn't be ridiculed for it. I like all Mustangs, original or modified. People put a lot of time and money into their cars so THEY can enjoy them, not other people.

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
I agree with Alydar, it is your car, build it the way you want to.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't mind seeing modified cars at shows, I think it's a great way to personalize a car. But what really grinds me is that these folks want to be in the stock class not modified. Or they are shocked when they don't win. People, it's very simple, build it the way you like it but don't expect it to win trophies against stock cars in a stock class. Whew. I'll go take my medicine now.

·
Registered
262 Posts
on about a month ago a 69 shelby conv. clone brought 41k + so they must have some following.i feel as long as you don't try and bs everyone that its real and just say "it's a fake snake,but i get to drive mine, the real ones are at home in the garage because there afraid to drive thiers".

G

·
0 Posts
A few weeks ago, My daughter and I attended an "All Ford Day" at the local drag strip. We took the Mustang and entered it in the car show (contrary to popular belief, RED doesn't always mean you'll do weel- LOL!). Had lots of fun looking at all of the different cars and trucks as well as watching these same cars running down the strip. Thought about doing the same but didn't (although I did go back and run the car a few weeks later). Towards the end of the day, we had two particpants (they also had cars entered) stop by and comment on the car. One started to lecture me about the changes done to the car. The other was asking why he was picking on my car. I have a 65 fastback with yes, the dreaded shelby-like features. At one point he asked why I picked the colors (exterior and interior) that did not match the period. I just smiled and said, because I liked them.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
I look at it this way. I admire all cars, even the other brands. If the other person thinks that your car is worng then that is someone I would not associate with.

I used to pick out the flaws in other cars to myself but never to the car owner. I have grown up a little now and have realized that most people do not have the skill or the tools to work on a car to make it a show room car. I bet you the adverage guy has just as much pride if not more in their car than the guy who did the show room job or paid to have the show room job done.

Build the car the way you want to. As long as you are happy then Thats all that matters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts