Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen this intake yet. An older friend of mines brother stopped by yesturday with a guy who claims he has a 289 weber intake only for sale, no carbs. He also claims to have to older vets. What is it worth? thanks bob

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Several different styles; Carbs facing each other, facing the same direction, intakes for 48's, 46's, newer ones use a thermostat and housing like a standard intake.
Value would depend on which one you have, but for a vintage 48IDA COBRA intake, prolly $450-600 range.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I think he is hinting for a higher value than that. I will see if he will bring it over so I can take a look at it and maybe post it for sale here.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I would consider that to be a fairly exotic setup. Tri-power repops are like $1200.

Not to dispute Art, I've seen Webber units on ehay go for $2k+ depending on model and condition. And that's not to say ehay is a realistic price gauge. But your guy may be thinking that high.

IMHO if you could get it for 4-600, I'd jump on it.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't have carbs. I also don't know if it is a tri set up or something else. He was supposed to stop by last night so I could take a look at it. He did mention that the COBRA was opened lettered.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I'm a little slow in piping in, but the intake will be a minor expense in a Weber set-up. Intakes can be found for as little as $200. Some folks, like Art said, will ask more-- double plus.

Carbs are VERY expensive, running from $400 to near a grand EACH (as I've observed on eHay). In 3 years of watching eHay Webers (not constantly, mid you) There's been only one set of "Shelby American" Weber carbs come up. IIRC the set was a no-sale at $4500+. The Shelby American carbs did have a special P/N on them and were serial numbered. Now, I guess you could go with IDFs; they're priced about like a good used Holley, each.

Hollow lettering on the intake isn't as indicative of an original part as it is on valve covers; reproductions can scarcely be told from originals.

In addition to the carbs and intake you'll need linkage, a waterneck, a thermostat (goes inside the radiator hose and is actually a Ford tractor item), you'll have to modify the waterneck if you want a heater, air filters of some type if you're going to drive them on a regular basis, a fuel pressure regulator and gauge (Webers aren't forgiving when given excessive fuel pressure, i.e. above 5 lbs).

If he's wanting a couple of hundred, I'd buy it if not for any thing else than to hang on a wall, but at twice that I'd wait until a complete set-up comes available at the $2-3k dollar range. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I think he is one of those guys who likes to talk about what he has and not sell anything. Since he is a friend of a friend I thought I would be nice and find out what a fair value was for the intake. I told him I didn't know much about them and that I wouldn't give him a $100 for it. Well see whay happens.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I was just using the tri-power as an example of the prices on something vintage and unusual.

Looks like you've got some solid info in this thread to make your decision on.

Good luck.

G

·
hi tom;

i'm late in piping in too. if you're referring to my old setup, i did eventually sell it for $5k+. it ended up on a shelby re-issue car. unless you find a complete setup ready to go for a steal, plan to spend in the $4k+ area to get what you want with a few extra calibrated parts to boot.

btw, your linkage pics were/are very helpful......

mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts