Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On shelby cobra valve covers (closed letter) with the black crinkle paint. Where does one go to get this kind off paint?
Also, how do you tell originals from repo's? When purchased I'd assumed that they were repo's but now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Wrinkle finish paint is available at our local Car Quest parts store. Practice on something else first - depending on the way it dries (or bakes - preferred) will determine the amount of wrinkle you get. The newer covers don't have enough wrinkle in them like the old ones, but if the paint sags as you apply it your wrinkle will be uneven.

Dave ::

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David
Your car is truely a work of art. I've never seen a mod motor conversion done with that workmanship, nothing even close. I could go on for hours, but you get the idea.
Thanks for your reply
David Charlier

·
Registered
254 Posts
The original open letter valve covers have Buddy Bar cast on the inside.

As for the Wrinkle Paint, I have always had good sucess with the following:

I put on three heavy coats waiting a little in between for the paint to set up. Each coat should be fairly heavy but not enough to run.

After the third coat I put the item on the gas grill set on about medium and close the cover for a few minutes. Check it often and remove as soon as the wrinkles appear.

I let the paint cure a couple of days and then use my randon orbit sander with 220 grit to remove the paint from the ridges and letters.

I usually use VHT brand paint. Good luck.

:peeping:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
i've always had good luck with vht as well. i do the same thing as GaryA only i actually use the kitchen oven. i just keep the oven going for a while afterwards to burn off any fumes. i have done several sets of VC's this way and they always turn out good. did a set of fog lights that way once too and those turned out really great

1 - 5 of 5 Posts