Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What color is the coil bracket that mounts on the intake manifold supposed to be? 1970 Mach 1, 351 Cleveland 4V.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
For the most part I would stick with what Peter stated, Though the 2006 MCA judging rule book states "semi-gloss black" or "phosphate and oil". The problem with these cars is that the finishes on some parts (shock tower caps, grill center supports, etc) will depend on where the car was manufactured and if the part was original or a service replacement part. The judging rules do not go into detail about what is correct for any given mfg plant, though a picky judge may deduct for the wrong finish.

If your bracket was originally black you should see some paint on the inside of the bracket. Phosphate will look gray and kind of sparkly.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a Dearborn 1970 351C and used the phosphate colored "metal mask" paint. I did this with several of the parts that were originally phosphate and I think they turned out nice.

·
Registered
665 Posts
What is the difference between cleaning and soaking the parts in OxiSolv and sending them off to be "parkerized"?

·
Registered
309 Posts
but I know the gun shops bead blast and then dip them in a warm/very warm phosphoric acid bath before cleaning and then oiling the parts. Never seemed like a good idea to have toxic fumes in the house (maybe its just me). I do know different formulations of baths will impart different colors on different metals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts