Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m working through understanding all of the wiring in my ‘65 while waiting for it to come back from paint. I’m working on the starting system now and have a question that I can’t figure out from the diagrams.

What does the red/white wire go to in this pic? It is on the engine gauge feed harness, near the coil. The green/red should go to the + on the coil, and feeds into the pink resistor wire (if I understand correctly), but for the life of me I can’t figure out the red/white. It appears in the Osborne diagram it goes somewhere on the distributor, but where? I have a Pertronix 1 - will I be using this wire? I plan to unplug the pink resistor and run a dedicated 12v to Ignitor.

·
Registered
382 Posts
That is for the oil pressure sending unit. It plugs in to the lead that goes down to the sender. That lead has a course black covering on it. If you are wiring the entire car, it might be helpful to layout out the under dash harness and label each lead. That’s what I did when I rewired my 66FB. Believe me, you will not remember color codes when.you are lying on you back with your head up under the dash.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My bad, they are right. It is the temp sender unit. Must have been the second beer.....maybe the third.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It plugs onto the coolant temperature sending unit.

Coolant temp is Red/White stripe.
Oil Pressure is White/Red stripe.

Thank you - that explains it. The diagram I have was showing it plugging BEHIND the distributor, not into it. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is for the oil pressure sending unit. It plugs in to the lead that goes down to the sender. That lead has a course black covering on it. If you are wiring the entire car, it might be helpful to layout out the under dash harness and label each lead. That’s what I did when I rewired my 66FB. Believe me, you will not remember color codes when.you are lying on you back with your head up under the dash.
That’s actually exactly what I’m doing...tracing each wire so I understand where they all go. It’s hopefully going to be a huge help for the few minor changes I’ll be making.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts