Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, for my 67 looking at mounting the coil and MSD box on the firewall inside the cabin to keep the engine compartment clean and to keep it out of the weather. This is all one-off wiring (KwikWire) with trunk mounted battery and the heater box is long gone. Using the MAD electric wiring schematic. No radio, carb'd 351W with M2 front end (cut out shock towers).

Anything keeping me from mounting the coil on the inside of the firewall and running a short wire through the firewall to the distributor? Pictures are on my build thread.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup. Rod and Custom front end. Owned since 93’ so figured it was time for an upgrade.

The coil wire in my 5.0 is about 18” long, so I figured I could run it through the hole in the firewall to the left of the MC/PB and not get much spark loss. Ref below

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
About 5 years ago while doing a complete AAW rewire and engine bay clean up I put my Crane control box inside where the dash speakers were and the coil right in front of it on the other side of the firewall.
I just hope the box lasts as long as I do because it will be a mega bitch to remove.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very cool. I have quite a bit of room under the dash because I deleted the heater box and ductwork. No need for heat in Florida.

On the fence about adding aftermarket AC, would like a small, compact unit but they just seem to take up so much space.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Where I live I need heat and A/C for windshield defrost.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I originally mounted my MSD box on the back side of my glove compartment box and that worked well but ultimately decided to mount it behind the splash shield in the fender compartment. I wasn't willing to risk interference or spark loss for the coil so I made a bracket and mounted it underneath my AC compressor so it's very hidden, worth a thought. I did change from a canister style though to make it easier to hide.

·
Registered
171 Posts
When I did my AAW rewire I moved both the ignition box and the coil out of the engine compartment (rewired as much wiring as I could out of the engine compartment. I live in Texas and have no need for a heater either so it was long gone. I built a bracket that bolts into the upper holes of the heater fan under the passenger side of the dash. I run one set of loom (that has the oil pressure, water temp, distributor wiring, electric choke) through where a heater hose normally goes into the engine compartment right behind the motor. It is not that noticeable and runs under my carb feed to the front of the engine to hide it more. Here are pics of the simple mounting bracket I made and the engine compartment.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats really nice! I ended up putting the spark box inside the cabin to the left of the pedal box but the coil is tucked behind the power booster and firewall adjuster. I am trying to avoid holes in the firewall as much as possible, while keeping the coil close to the distributor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts